Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Need help finding the right dog >

Need help finding the right dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Need help finding the right dog

Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Default RE: Need help finding the right dog

I googled it, and i dont want a dog with that much hair. And plus they look so innocent, and they're a small dog, i want a dog that is more of a "playful protector", and looks mean but isnt really that mean. The hunting part, im not that concerned about, i thought that it would be a bonus since i dove hunt a lot. But thanks for the Chessies idea anyways. Dont want something that is hard to train.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're not concerned about the hunting part, get yourself a Doberman. A young female.
She will be very protective vs the males who are agreesive and she will do a great job of looking mean.

She will be a playful protector no doubt andshould be easy to train since they are a very intelligent breed.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yep--Came's right. You want a Chesapeke. They are everything you listed.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 AM

It's going to be either a Doberman, German Shepard, Boxer,or if it comes down to it, a Lab. The Chesapeke sounds like agood dog but it dont look like the kind of dog im looking for.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

For game and family safety there is only one that comes to mind; Chessies!! There is no question that this is the best of what you are looking for.

Yep. I knew my answer soon as I read the post... figured I'd see if anyone else said it first. One of the few dogs that is known to be generally protective and very driven to retrieve. I've seen labs that are protective of certain areas (trucks especially), and I've heard of a few protective Goldens. Personally, Attilah the Hun could come storming up our driveway on an elephant shooting flaming arrows and my Golden would be nothing but excitied to see him... but then Dutch has never been in a situation where he needed to be protective of me or my fiancee. The fiancee's black lab is a bit more people in-touch, and I think would indeed go to bat for either of us if the need arose.

But generally, I think that a Chessie is a good way to go. They can be rather stubborn though, but that is case dependant. If you have kids around and/or lots of company then there may be better choices for you.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

For game and family safety there is only one that comes to mind; Chessies!! There is no question that this is the best of what you are looking for.

Yep. I knew my answer soon as I read the post... figured I'd see if anyone else said it first. One of the few dogs that is known to be generally protective and very driven to retrieve. I've seen labs that are protective of certain areas (trucks especially), and I've heard of a few protective Goldens. Personally, Attilah the Hun could come storming up our driveway on an elephant shooting flaming arrows and my Golden would be nothing but excitied to see him... but then Dutch has never been in a situation where he needed to be protective of me or my fiancee. The fiancee's black lab is a bit more people in-touch, and I think would indeed go to bat for either of us if the need arose.

But generally, I think that a Chessie is a good way to go. They can be rather stubborn though, but that is case dependant. If you have kids around and/or lots of company then there may be better choices for you.

This is what i was thinking the whole time, I really want a dog that will protect me and especially MY TRUCK!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am getting the idea that he is more or less looking for a low cost dog like from a shelter or one that may be given away if I am correct.. I think Chessies come with a pretty darn good price tag if I am not mistaken.. If not and he has the time a good old fashion setter could do what he wants easily.. The same goes for most dogs I am sure. The hunting dogs are more apt to retrieve though and that is something he is asking as well. Protect the kids ,his truck, and enjoys hunting with him. All at a low cost and I do believe it is posible to find what he is looking for from a shelter. I do suggest that he be carefull in his selection from them.I would recomend that you get as much background from them of the dog or dogs you maybe interested in. That will tell you how much work is needed in order to straighten it out.. I wish you good luck in what you decide on and that all works out great for you..
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 AM

I had not thought about the shelter idea. I was lookingin the Mule Trader, and found a Shepard/Lab mix that has to get gone because they have to many animals at thier house. So i'm probably going to build a pin for the dog before i go and get it.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Go with what suites you the best, but I would do a bit more research on the Chessie. You said that they are small and have too much hair? Chessies are a bit bigger than a lab and have a nice coat. They dont seem to shed as much as labs and do very well outside. My buddy breeds them and have not had any problems around kids. I would not want to be the stranger that walked up to his kids either. Great dog and overlooked. Again, get what you think will work. I have seen rotties hunt.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Get a lab. If you want a retriever and a personality, you wont miss with a lab.

Quick Reply: Need help finding the right dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.