Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Chesapeake bay training

Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Chesapeake bay training

Is there anyone who can recommend a book or video about training a Chesapeake Bay, or are the standard retriever videos the ticket. I bought a Chessie after my lab died, and I've heard some hype that Chessies are a little tougher to train. So far no problems, it's just I've noticed that the dogs can be a little "moody" when it comes to enthusiasm. Any ideas. (nope, won't get rid of 'em either, LOL)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Default RE: Chesapeake bay training

Chessies are a little more dense, if thats the right word. They need more attention to get the point across. I would think as long as your doing the same work as you would a lab, the training is going to be identical. Evan Grahams Smartfetch. Mike Lardy's total retriever.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Jackie Mertens, "sound begginings"
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

How old is your dog? What sort of background? What kind of training routeine have you been following?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

John & Amy Dahl are some pretty famous Chessie folks.
Get their book, the "10 Minute Retriever".

Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM

Dogger, All the retrieving breed will be trained alike, how ever you are right about the chessie being hard headed. I hate to classify breeds but it is a true fact. If you want to do the training yourself then you better get several books to start reading, but in the mean time if the sole purpose of the dog is for waterfowl then start with obedience. It's never to early for obedience on a waterfowl dog, and what ever you do, do not play retrieving games for to long in a day. All you really need to do is throw about 4 to 5 retrieves per session, but no more than 2 times a day. You don't want pup to start getting bored of retrieving at such a young age, it will lead to you having to force fetch(force retrieve) him later, or pay someone to do it. Also chessies bond to a family but only one person in that family is really thier master, and that could turn into a problem (maybe).
Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Retreiver Training by Robert Milner and a box of 2 x 4's should do the trick.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM

We've got a 1yr old chessie pup and we have found that obediance is the number one thing to start. He is doing real well. We have got a E-collar that has helped instill obediance at a distance. We call it a god button. He know obeys as god has given the command. Can't wait for duck season to open.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Chessie once. He was easily trained, but VERY hard-headed. He almost drowned once trying to find a duck. I couldn't call him off and finally had to wade out to get him.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Chessie are great dogs. They are not over bread and very loving to the family. My buddy hunts and breeds them. I have nothing but respect for the chessie.

Quick Reply: Chesapeake bay training

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.