Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What kind of dog?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What kind of dog?

The Department of Corrections in Colorado uses Bloodhounds. And I would guess thevast majority of tracking dogs use by the other states are also Bloodhounds. That should tell you something.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 PM

I have been doing great with finding dear with a jag'd terrier found 6 this weekend strait up at a blood trail seminar just as good asany veteran dog that was 2 years and he is only 8 months
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second whoever it was that posted the Dachshund. I have used Dachshunds for decades. I have 2 now. One is a short hair red and the other a red dapple. I can testify that this breed must "have it in 'em". I've read that wire hared version seems to be the best at this. I did zero to train the 4 I have hadother than take them to the woods and put them on a blood trail. "Red Man" and "Dinkie" are gone now.My old dog, Tex, is now 13 and slowing down ... but was going strong last season. Mojo is 3, in his primeand is now as good as Tex ever was. Folks brag on their dogs and I am no exception. Tex once trailed a gut shot buck that the shooter pushed all afternoon then gave up on .... in sub freezing sleet, total darkness, for the better part of 4 hours.We had no chance of finding this deer without this dog's work. Thebuck crossed the same creek 4 times and took us though head high saw-briars, bamboo thickets, a pine plantation and was down in a fire break.Last season these two found 6 deer that would not have been found otherwise, one oif which the shooter swore he did not even hit.As long as I can go, and can have a tracking dog ... it'll be a "weenie" dog for me. And by the way, as in the photo they do go for the bum-hole pretty much first thing!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Seen some real nice terriers, Jags and JRs that are amazing trackers. Also seen some Beagles and Bassets that Id be proud to follow behind.