Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Hog Dogs???

Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Hog Dogs???

I live in central Florida, and, am interested in getting into hog hunting with dogs. But I don't really even know where to begin. Should I get some cur dogs or hounds. I have been looking and I can't seem to find many breeders for hog dogs. Would puppies out of coon hounds work well. If anyone could just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Thank You.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Hog Dogs???

Bay dogs or catch dogs? Or Both?

Not much of a hog dog guy, but I know Leopard hounds, are good bayers. Argentinian Dogo's are great catch dogs along with Pits, and Catahoulas.

Coon dogs may work, but I would research a Hog specific breed first.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM

i hunt hogs with plotts and walker hounds and wouldent trade them for nothing
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Subscribe to boar hunter magazine. They always have ads for dogs in the back of each issue. I personally don't hunt yet. Planning to buy a place with a couple acres so I can get some dogs together and start myself. Guys I know use everything from Blackmouth Curs to Catahoulas to Plott hounds and Walkers and alot of mixes of these breeds mostly for their bay dogs. If you're planning to shoot them I sould say you really don't need a catch dog, but if the plan is to knife them or catch them I strongly recommend a good catch dog. Pits, American Bulldogs, Argentino Dogos and some of the curs make great catch dogs.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Thank you for the info. The only reasonI asked about to coon dogs is that i used to coon hunt and bay dogs and tree dogs seemed similar to me and I know where to find them.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM

I have always heard Blackmouth Curs as well. I would also suggest calling some Pig hunting guides to see what they used. MY buddy did a pig hunt in Savannah last year and they hunted over the guides dogs, but I am not sure what breed.

Good Luck
Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM

i grew up hog hunting central florida, your best bet is a florida curr, or a blackmouth curr. If you need more help, or are interested in getting a good bay dog I can help you out.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: EODLT

Bay dogs or catch dogs? Or Both?

Not much of a hog dog guy, but I know Leopard hounds, are good bayers.

Coon dogs may work, but I would research a Hog specific breed first.
I bet you are thinking of leapard curs.

Also, check out mountain curs and blackmouth curs for sure. Good possible bets because these dogs are going to be gamey and have hunt. A mountain cur may be small for a catch dog, but you may not need that. Seems like some guys just have good bay dogs.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Check with some guys that hunt in your area. Many pig hunters don't like the mouth on the coon hound type dogs. If the hogs get dogged a lot you'll have a hard time getting them stopped with a pack of baying hounds. They will be in the next countyin short order unless you dump right on top of them. You also may not find or have anyone to hunt with if all the guys in the area are using silent dogs.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Definitely, silent dogs are the way to go with hogs. I like the ones that if you hear the dog, he's got the hog in his sight.

Quick Reply: Hog Dogs???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.