Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Tips to keep my lab occupied? >

Tips to keep my lab occupied?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tips to keep my lab occupied?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Tips to keep my lab occupied?

Yep, first lab, she gets a minimum of 2 hours exercise per day. Its my excuse to get in shape for elk this fall.

Her outdoor kennel is on concrete patio blocks and her house is elevated on a wood pallet which she does not bother.

I was wondering about the wood chips or even straw? I cant believe she would eat either of those, but if she would, would either of them cause any harm?

Thanks guys
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine likes chewing on straw... have some spread out in the yard and he'll grab a mouth full now and again.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM

No, probably wont hurt her, infact she will most likely barf up the chips or straw in a few hours. I've had cedar chip bedding for years and years and have never had a problem with them, plus they make the dogs smell better.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM

My old lab needed chew toys, big bones from the butcher, and a kong toy loaded with peanut butter.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

EODLT pretty much summed it up. My Lab has rawhides inside the houseand out in his kennel, tennis balls in both, other toys in the house. His dog house is a one of those igloos and he has a insulated blanket which he doesn't bother.

Myself and the rest of the family play with him continously, I work with him every day on his need to do's. he will not bother anything in the house except his toys and rawhides.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Lot,s of play time I was told not to use straw as it can cause breathing problums from the dust as can hay I don,t know but I never had to use it any way.And for tennis ball,a I was told by the vet that the fuzz on them can wear their enamel off their teeth I quit letting the dogs have them the the russel was chewing the fuzz off of them and it was every ware I let them have those orange road hockey balls or lacrosse balls last longer and easy to see when cutting the grass.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM

I always liked the Kong toys for dogs.
Indestructable even for a Lab. Thick rubber wierd shapes, but they are cool. Only thing I dont like about toys and chews is that they can, in my experience, begin some hard-mouth. When the dog grabs something, sometimes they automatically crunch down like its their ball or chew thingy. Thats not what you want, so I usually limited toy time to times when I had strict control over it, meaning they would be rewarded for a good session with the toy, then in a few minutes, I took the toyback.