Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Let's see your Dawg's... >

Let's see your Dawg's...

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Let's see your Dawg's...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 PM
RAK
Spike

Nice dog!

Back in the days I had some kind of dog (terrier mix) that looked like your dog. He was the best gaurd dog I ever had. He protected all our chickens, rabbits, etc.

Our Akita's good big game hunters?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Here is my son at the youth hunt with our beagle Annie.
Attached Thumbnails  Let's see your Dawg's...-hartville.k12.mo-1-.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Stabyhouns is our breed of choice. They are a Dutch pointer.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Spike

ENGLISH SETTER HARLEY
Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

Heres my english pointer roc.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Stella...DeCoverly Kennels

She has been a brat from the get go...just now starting to behave.
Attached Thumbnails  Let's see your Dawg's...-0415002028.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Spike

Default Ridgeviews true grit a.k.a. "duke"

The big yella beast from the northeast
Attached Thumbnails  Let's see your Dawg's...-waldman72-2_crop.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

hers my new pup dont know what kind she is though.

say high dixie lol.

Last edited by dylanm; 10-25-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I have heard alot of that keep your hunting dog outside nonsense. Keeping a dog in the house will not ruin his/her nose anymore than being in a pen outside where smells are stronger-trash burning, skunk spray, etc.
I have a German shorthair who I will put up against any outside dog in a hunt test. He lives for one reason - to please me... and it's because of the bond we formed from him always being with me. He is a couch dog until the orange and shotgun come out then he is all hunt.
Yup... That sounds just like my dog Amber. She is happy laying on her dog bed in the living room, and being a normal family pet/house dog. BUT... As soon as she sees me wearing my blaze orange upland/small game hunting vest, and about to load my Rem 870 (in a camo case) into my truck, she goes crazy!

What's hilarious is how my wife and daughters were so worried the very first time I took her out into the woods with me. They said she will take off on me and be gone so far, she'll be in the next zip code!

But, believe it or not, Amber just somehow knew what to do. It was like she had a built-in instinct to hunt. She stays (at max) 50 yards from me. She's ahead of me, diagonally from me, to the side of me, etc... with her nose to the ground, sniffing everything she can sniff. She trees squirrels all the time, and jumps rabbits too with the best of them. Not bad for being a mutt (Beagle/Shepherd/Cur/something-something... (dominant breed on her papers says "Beagle mix". Vet says Beagle & Shepherd if you pair it down to just 2 breeds).

Anyway, here's another photo from last year, when we were out rabbit hunting. We were coming back out on the main trail to the parking lot, when we got stopped by two game wardens. Nothing bad... They were just there checking on people, checking the area, checking this, checking that, etc... They even checked Amber's dog license, rabies tag, and stuff too! So, I remembered I had an old digital camera in my truck, and asked one of the wardens if he wouldn't mind snapping a photo for me. Amber was a little annoyed with them though, but they won her over with a dog biscuit!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck_Slayer
new hunting buddy (50/50 Chesapeake/Lab) just got him Wednesday.
Here is an updated pic of Moose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.