HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Need Help with Pup (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/228050-need-help-pup.html)

DeGraz 01-19-2008 11:45 AM

Need Help with Pup

My 7 month old yellow lab pup has begun some new eating habbits. He is eating my other dogs poop, and he is finding and eating deer poop, and any other poop he can find in the woods. Is this normal? Is he missing something from his diet? I feed him pedigree puppy food, and canned pedigree food as well. Any help would be appreciated.

EODLT 01-19-2008 03:58 PM

RE: Need Help with Pup

hmmm. Some dogs eat crap. It happens. I would try to make him avoid eating crap, if you see him going for a taste, distract him, tell him no, eating crap is not good.

good luck.

bronko22000 01-19-2008 04:38 PM

He probably is lacking something in his diet. You may want to take him to the vet and ask him. Oh, by the way, don't tell your wife, especially while he is licking her face.
Reminds me of one of Bill Engvall's skits.

DeGraz 01-19-2008 05:26 PM

I think he might be lacking something too, ill call the vet. I have been telling him no, and pushing his nose away from it whn i see him trying to eat it. yeah I found out the hard way that he is eating crap, he jumped up on the couch next to me and gave me a great big s$%t kiss. Thanks guys!!!!

huntnma 01-20-2008 06:04 AM

my lil rott pup that i just got eats poo.....he will sit under the others and eat it while its coming out [:'(]i thought he was lacking, so i got him on vitamins.....it hasn't helped, lol.....he's getting fixed here in a couple of weeks, so i'll have the vet do some more bloodwork, but his last series of tests came out good, so i am thinking he's just a poo eater [:'(]i would definately get yours checked out...it's better to rule out everything.....

RIStrutStopper 01-23-2008 01:49 PM

My 4 month old lab loves the "crunchy treats" he finds in the cat's litter box [:'(] At least he doesn't eat his own poop ;)

sproulman 01-23-2008 09:49 PM

when you catch him doing it,SAY NO .
if you dont do it, he will eat turds his whole life..

Mite 01-24-2008 03:39 AM

You'll want to make sure you give the pup food/treats which they can digest. When you give them something non-digestable, it comes out the other end which the pup will try to eat again. Dogs don't have our sensiblities. What we preceive as being gross is just another part of life to the dog. And for certain dogs, the smell of another's dog poop smells like roses to them.

20 slugs 01-24-2008 08:57 PM

My russ doe,s that and she 9 I just try to keep the yard clean but it,s hard to watch her when there,s snow she, white and she wait,s until her and the lab go out at night time for a muzzle.

cjp161 02-05-2008 11:12 AM

there is a pill that you can give your dog that makes the crap taste really bad to the dog. worked for my guy. i think its called potty mouth or something similar.