Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Griff vs. DD

Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Default RE: Griff vs. DD

THIS IS A GOOD SITE TO RESEARCH GRIFF'S
www.awpga.com
Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mustad

I see very little difference between a PP and a DD aside from appearance. I like the look of a PP better.
arch,

i'll add something new based on a recent experience. There is another difference that has nothing to do with the dog itself, but the U.S. club. Unless you are in with the right people, you will be overlooked. I have heard recently about a member of the executive committee actually insert himself into the registration process of a test to insure that dogs coming from a certain breeder were not registered in his test.

This may be an isolated care, but be careful if this is the avenue you pursue and you have interest in testing the dog.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The PP is stricter in breeding stipulations and by far there are just not that many breeders. I judge for an organization and see all the breeds you have mentioned.

As far as coats - the PP's I have seen are not as servicable as a DD or WPG. The WPGs tend to have a longer coat, are smaller in body than a PP or DD. All can and do hunt hard and there are very good breeders for all - but not many breeders for PP.

To further this and to get help looking for breeders when you are ready contact www.navhda.org.
They have kennel listings for all those breeds.

Oh and I know Steve and I know just about all the other GWP breeders listed above. If you need help - PM me.

I run GWPs.....jsut my breed of choice.

JW