HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Dog Food Rule #1. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/220370-dog-food-rule-1-a.html)

losthwy 11-30-2007 10:23 PM

Dog Food Rule #1.

Generally speaking, the higher the protein and fat content. The higher the quality of the feed.

SWOSUMike 11-30-2007 11:22 PM

RE: Dog Food Rule #1.

I would suggest that that is only partially true, and not "generally" true. Some brands make multiple varieties of the same quality of food, but they still have different protein/fat contents. Additionally, I would think the source of protein could be more critical than the amount of it. I have heard some proteins used in some feedsare harder to digest.

I would be more inclined to say that, if there was a #1 rule for dog food, that it would be ensuring that the primary ingredient is a quality ingredient, like lamb, chicken or beef. I will take lamb and rice as my top dog food ingredient over corn any day, and I will look at that before I look at protein/fat content. As far as protein/fat content, I like it to be about 26/16 or maybe 26/18 with a real meat for a primary ingredient. I have super lean dogs that seem to do real poorly on high energy sporting dog feed such as 30/20.

My next interest would be ensuring the food contains other healthy substances such as fatty acids.

That said, this is a good topic and a good opinion of yours to kick off the discussion. My opinion doesn't make me right, just different.

Phil from Maine 12-01-2007 09:08 AM

real meat for a primary ingredient. I have super lean dogs that seem to do real poorly on high energy sporting dog feed such as 30/20.
I agree with the real meat part, but for as far as the high protien and fat it depends on how active your dogs are. An active dogs needs more protien and fat than an inactive dog would. I have the best luck using the 30/20 mix rather than anything else. Also some only feed the higher end of protien and fat when hunting thier dogs and less when not. So what different dogs require is based on the amount of energy they use up.

coolbrze0 12-03-2007 03:37 PM

It depends on what both the guys above said. I feed Black Gold 26/18 and my beagles do real well on it, even the yellow and black labs we use for waterfowling. My beagles are run hard, year round, at least every other day. I've tried a lot of feeds over the years and there are several they do well on, but BG seems to be the best.

sproulman 12-04-2007 10:08 AM

this is food i am using now on my lab.

its CANIDEA ALL LIFE DOG FOOD.
its 24,14.50,4.00 on ingredients.
not expensive, 34 dollars for 40 pds.
it has 4 meats in it and no corn etc.

i was using DIAMOND L/R for 24 dollars for 40 pds.

canidea is rated 4 stars and diamond was 2 stars.
CANIDEA was also given the editors choice of dog foods..

some LABS are touchy to chicken in foods [allergys], if so, CANIDEA now makes a LAMB/RICE also.

sproulman 12-04-2007 10:09 AM

Doc E 12-04-2007 10:23 AM

Quality of ingredients is as important as quantity.