Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 First dog.Need deer tracker and bird dog >

First dog.Need deer tracker and bird dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

First dog.Need deer tracker and bird dog

Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM

Default RE: First dog.Need deer tracker and bird dog

Snooky
I have not seen this in person here since it is illegal here to run deer with a dog but I do know the germans use them to run/track big game/ deer. Here is a photo of a DD with a boar that was brought to bay in germany.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a labrador for both, but i dont think you will get a dog to do BOTH very good. They are smart dogs but it would be hard to train a dog for both. BTW- i would get a bluetick for bloodtrailing, get a beagle. beagles as a species learn faster and have a comparable nose to a bluetick. Not only that, they are easier on a leash than abigger bluetick. I got a redtick/walker cross that bloodtrails that nearly pulls my arm out of socket sometimes.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Versadog; All of the versatile bred dogs will run a hot deer track and bay big game as well as point and retrieve upland birds and waterfowl. They are much better at blood tracking than the hound breeds. Hounds are bred to take a track as old as a couple of days and trail for miles before catching up with the game. Then the game may run all day. Bird dogs just will not track that way. They seldom run game more than a couple of miles. An hour long race is more than most will stay with a game animal by themselves. They are gritty and will fight bayed big game animals very well. Many are used as hog dogs. Some are used as bear dogs, but are turned into a pack that has run the game to bay and need a dog to engauge the bear to make him climb the tree.
I have bear and lion hounds at present. I also owned "Haus" the 79 National Derby Champion and 2nd place WCA Field Futurity winner. I am far from an expert, but have some experience with versatile dogs and hounds.
Thats a neat picture and a good looking shorthair.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Snooky

They are much better at blood tracking than the hound breeds. Hounds are bred to take a track as old as a couple of days and trail for miles before catching up with the game.
Not true. A hound CAN follow a trail a couple of days old, but they are trained to follow the strongestscent, ie. the freshest track, otherwise they would track backwards.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:31 PM

This is the first I have ever heard of a DD and it sounds like an incredible breed. other than what is listed on that link any other good references?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Not true. A hound CAN follow a trail a couple of days old, but they are trained to follow the strongestscent, ie. the freshest track, otherwise they would track backwards.

you may be right, but 60 years of hunting hounds says your wrong. Backtracking hounds are removed from the gene pool. Backtracking has never been a problem for me. Your lodgic would have the dogs taking every track backward, weather two minutes, or two days old, the principle remains the same. A decent hound will take the track in the proper direction if walked in at a 90 degree angle to the track. When rigging a dog from the truck, the dog will know which direction the game is, and which direction the game is travelingbefore you release him and let him on the ground.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Spike

2006HighSierra:

Are you looking for breeder references? GNA's web site listsVDD registered breeders by state.The VDD has a web siteunfortunatelyall the informationis in German, an Englishtranslated version of this site is not available. If you have any specific questions about drahthaars, I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

Wildflugel
Old 12-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Spike

Which would be my point entirely. If hounds followed old trails they would backtrack, but they don't (unless you inadvertently train them to). A hound will follow the freshest trail available, so why should it be any slower than a pointer? Tracking dogs will take you footstep for footstep along the original path. A trailing dog (ie a hound) can air scent, ground scent or use any other means to get from point "A" to point "B" the quickest and most efficient way possible. It's going to take you to what it's looking for as quickly as it can, hounds aren't notorious for overworking themselves.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned

Cara; Just don't tell my hounds about that. They aren't smart enough to know that they should be backtracking. I don't want to give them a complex.
Comparing blood tracking to trailing game?? I have better ways to waste time.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Spike

When did I say that they should backtrack?

Quick Reply: First dog.Need deer tracker and bird dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.