Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Purina Pro Performance?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Purina Pro Performance?

I just got my lab back from the trainers and he has been feeding my dog purina pro performance for the past 4 months. I was just wondering what everyone thought of that dog food and if I should stick with it or go back to Natural Choice. The other question I had is that I have always fed my dogs twice a day and he got him on the routine of feeding once a day. Does that seem to be alright to just feed once a day. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks a lot.

Ryan Dallas
Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: Purina Pro Performance?

Thats what i have been feeding my dogs for last 6 months. Was feeding them natural choice. read an article in gun dog magazine about dog nutrition they recomended 30% protein 20% fat plus plus other stuff. pro plan performance was just about the only stuff i could find that had it all. The switch made a huge differance in energy level. there was also good reading about when to feed. there vet recomended once a day i think. Thats what i do just before bed time. but they also said to feed before hunting and since then i have heard on pheasents forever tv show not to feed before hunting.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used Pro Plan since ithas come out andhave not switched! Now I use Pro Plan Adult and only use the Performance if I am running the dogs hard. For normal routine kennel feeding I us eht Adult. If I hunt I do use the Performance.

I am very pleased withe food - dog's coats have looked the best ever and getting only a half hot dog back when I feed several hot dog's worth of food just tells me they are digesting it naturally.

Now for feedings - I also feed once a day unless the dog is a pup. Then it might go from 4 small feedings to 3 to t2 and then eventualy to one. I feed once in the evening. My dogs are not gulpers so wut is left over they may have for breakfast. I always feed dry. I add no suppliments cause if ya need to do that then you are feeding the wrong food.

I do moisten the food when I hunt and am on the road for a few days. Helps hydrate the dog better.

That is just my 2 cents worth - others may have their own favorite brand of dog food.

Now to the other post - correct do not feed just before a hunt. Thing to worry about is stomach twist. I also will wait late at night after a hard day in the field or marsh. I give each dog about 2 to 3 hrs rest before they will be fed after the hunt and then as I said above I add water.

JW
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the input. I think I will stick with the purina and the one feeding a day.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have been to the Pruina Farms in Eureka, MO at a seminar on feeding which was part of a dog judging seminar I needed to attend. Being employed in the scientific field I found it very interesting how Purina develops their feeds for dog and cats and all other animals. Same litter matesfeed various diets, food intake, work output, stool wt is all recorded over time. Then they check growth along with age to develop what feeds they have on the market today. Was very impressive as the common dogs they used where the minature schnauzer, german shepard and labrador.

You might want to contact Purina as they do have various broshures to help you with your choice but for me Pro Plan is at the top of the line.

JW
Old 11-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Spike

We lost our Bloodhound suddenly in September due to gastric torsion. The cause in her case was unknown, but the vet advised with all deep chested dogs to:

1. Feed multiple meals, at least two and three if at all possible.

2. Never feed dry food straight, mix in a little water and or canned foodand allow it to absorb. If a dog eats a large amount of dry food and then drinks a lot, its stomach contents will swell, possibly causing bloat.

3. Never feed shortly before or after exercise (as with preventing colic in a horse), wait until their heart rate has returned to normal and they are no longer panting.

4. Consider having the stomach wall tacked to the dog's sides during spaying.

These tips aren't always convenient, and i'm sure some of you might disagree with some or all ofthem, but this is a horrible way to lose a dog. There is very little that can bedone once their gut has twisted, and it is extremely painful. Our dog was fine at 5pm, and dead by 3am despitean emergency vet visit. Implementing just one of them might make all the difference for your dog, I wish it had saved mine.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to here about the loss Cara, I have the Irish and they are noted to have this problem develope. I go with recommendations from the kennel they had come from tho. They know these better and has raised them for years without the issue. I will feed them some in the morning and then at night. The biggest feeding is at night tho. I never feed thembeforetaking them out and has always fed them dry dog food without any problems. I also know that alot of dogs run sled races and they have to feed them during some of thetrip as well as keeping plenty of water on hand. So some of my guess when it comes to feeding is how active your dogs are. That gives the 30/20 mix a meaning, active dogs need moreprotien and fat while inactive needs less. Most labs couldn't keep up with my setters so I do not think the 30/20 mix would be all that healthy for them.That's my 2 cents..
Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Spike

I haven't asked the vet about it, but I wonder if feeding smaller quantities of a higher calorie food would help too. That way the dog's stomach would not be as full, but it would have all the nutrition it needed.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think so, but I am no pro on this. What I would do is contact a reconnized kennel that breeds the dogs of the breed and sked them. If I remember right I am guessing yours were rescue dogs, but I think most of the kennels would be of help to you in this area. Good Luck..
Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Spike

Yes two of my dogs are rescues, as was the one that passed. We recently got another Bloodhound, but this one came from a breeder. Luckily for themthey are somewhat hard to find in shelters, especially one young enough to have much of a working life after training. In case you haven't guessed, I feel guilty about it

Quick Reply: Purina Pro Performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.