Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 My Axel's first dog show. >

My Axel's first dog show.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My Axel's first dog show.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default My Axel's first dog show.

Hi everyone. Axel and I attended out first "Dog Show" It was a Teckel show down in Rienhold, PA and we headed down Saturday morning at the request of Axel's breeder Andy. "MR ADMIN" on the United Blood Trackers forum.

We arrived early and I got Axel registered. I had no idea what to expect and a little apprehensive because I know my boy, he's still all pup at 18 months of age and loves to play. He listens to me but he's never been " a show" dog. He's a tracker, nose to the ground all the time.

We got him out so Andy could take a look at him for the first time since I picked him up as a pup. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not the first bit knowledgeable on the grooming of a wire hair so Axel had a little more hair places I guess he shouldn't have...lol Andy plucked some hair from him and groomed him and started working with him. He's smart and seemed to take to it though, I thought.

Right prior to Axel's turn, Sherry asked Andy if he wanted her to show Ax....they agreed and Sherry took Ax around for more training. He really responded to her. (Now remember, I'm on crutches) I saw things in Ax I didn't know he could do, or at least at this present time. She also took much more hair out.... Now I know.

I think we were all a little nervous when it was Axel's time. Andy said we're hoping for a rating of "very good". Axel got weighed. He was 8.7 kilos...Okay..I thought..that's good I heard the judge denounce the over 10 dogs. I knew Ax to weigh in at 21 lbs.

He had all his teeth...okay I thought...I knew that tho cause Andy said so too early on. He went over his coat....said some impressive remarks. I thought, cool...good hair. Good head, eyes, etc..etc...Judge seemed to really like him. Andy made the statement later that he knew the judge would like him when he came in under 9 kilo.

Now the nervous part. Sherry picked him off the table and walked him around. I thought he did an outstanding job although every now and again he wanted to sniff. For the most part he pranced and I was amazed how well he was doing. I know I have to keep working with him on that respect. The judge continued to make positive remarks on his lines, walk, gate etc...you know dog show stuff....lol

The moment of truth. Sherry was turning him to get him to "square" up and as the judge was speaking all of a sudden "EXCELLENT" came out of his mouth. Sherry was surprised I think from the expression on her face because she was still showing him, trying to get him to stand proper. I looked at Andy and he seemed elated....I had goose bumps.

Axel then had to go back into the arena with all the other "excellent" dogs. There was around 12 of 38 dogs or something like that and now Andy would be handling Ax cause Sherry had her own "excellent dog", Dixie, which happens to be Axel's "Mom".

I was nervous again but as the judge kept dismissing the dogs one by one I kept getting goose bumps. Axel finished 5th, just in front of his mom who was in 6th. She's beautiful.

I'm proud of my little guy and just wanted to share with you.

And one with the judge.

And I don't know if this video will play or not of Axel's turn in the arena.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Poorguy/Sept19thon/?action=view&current=MOV00528.flv

Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
IDT

Default RE: My Axel's first dog show.

Way to go Axel !! (and Rob and Sherry and Andy!!)
Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hi Kim, how's Aryl? I hope he's doing much much better. I was thinking about him on Saturday as Andy and I talked. They (Andy and Jola) commented now that Ax is groomed I should change my sig pic of him on UBT...they said it wasn't flattering.[&:]

What do you think of this one?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:01 PM
IDT

Now that is a Grand picture I'd love to see the two side by side one day...Ax is bigger but the coat and face is the same Stayed home from work today and went back to the vet. Had a poor day on Sunday, now it appears he has a touch of pancreitus (however you spell it) Changed all the meds and put him on Mylanta. She's pretty optimistic he will be "normal" again by Friday...I sure hope so...this is an exhausting experience.

Anayway, congrats again...and I do like that photo!!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does Aryl's back rise slightly like Axel's? Both Andy and Jola made a comment to get him to stand with his rear legs back so that minimizes.

Axel weighs in at 21 lbs. What does Aryl weigh in?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
IDT

No, his topline is fairly flat. I don't have a really good picture that shows, this is one of the last ones I have taken around June or so (in his "classic" pose) He always has an ear or two flopped back. With his illness this past week he is down to 14.7#, normally he is up around 17#. From pictures it looks like Ax is longer in the body, maybe that is what makes his back appear like that???

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I see and what was pointed out to me is that Ax's back legs need to be set back, that will elongate the body and flatten the back. See where Aryl's back legs are set back and Ax's are forward. I need to take a picture with him posing properly...

OH, and Ax' ears are usually flipped...lol Even in his show video Sherry flips it while she does the walk away...lol
Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Rob that is great congrats
both those dogs look great