Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM

Default RE: WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

I feed Nutro to my lab ... keeps the coat beautiful & shiney and reduces shedding. They do not use any bi-products in their foods either.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

most of names here on food,there is rec and testing on this site.

www.woodhavenlabs.com right side under SITE MENU
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM

Canidae...all the way! www.canidae.com check it out!!! seriously. its amazing! only about 35$ for a 40 lb. bag
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Diamond Lamb & Rice! Have been feeding it to my Brittany for the last five years and she's doing great!!!! 3/4 cup in the morning, 3/4 cup at supper time. Up it on the days we hunt and she holds weight fine.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM

I like diamond and never had problems with it. the only reason i don't use it any more is because my dog doesn't eat it(must be the flavor)
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 AM

For the record, I can't claim to know as much as some of you here about dogs and all inculded, though, I am not ignorant either. (not that anybody has said that) Right now, I am feeding my only dog, a 7 year old Basset Hound 2 cups of Dry pedigree lamb and rice, mixed with 1 can of pedigree (any one of about 4 different flavors he likes.)I know that there are in many people eyes, and opinions, better foods out there, but, my hound likes it, and he is healthy as they get.I have been told by several vets (several because I am in the military and therefore move often) that he is one of the best looking Bassets they have ever seen, Weight for one (between 50-55 lbs), and his coat is healthy... soft, shiny...all that stuff.

I don't want to steal the thread here, but I think my question falls in line with it.

I see everybody talking about the different foods, and such and such numbers (26/17)...or whatever. What do these numbers mean? How does this play into the dog food? I am getting a GSP in April, and I am looking to find the best to feed him. I just want to understand all this so tah tI can make a more educated decision.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

For the record, I can't claim to know as much as some of you here about dogs and all inculded, though, I am not ignorant either. (not that anybody has said that) Right now, I am feeding my only dog, a 7 year old Basset Hound 2 cups of Dry pedigree lamb and rice, mixed with 1 can of pedigree (any one of about 4 different flavors he likes.)I know that there are in many people eyes, and opinions, better foods out there, but, my hound likes it, and he is healthy as they get.I have been told by several vets (several because I am in the military and therefore move often) that he is one of the best looking Bassets they have ever seen, Weight for one (between 50-55 lbs), and his coat is healthy... soft, shiny...all that stuff.

I don't want to steal the thread here, but I think my question falls in line with it.

I see everybody talking about the different foods, and such and such numbers (26/17)...or whatever. What do these numbers mean? How does this play into the dog food? I am getting a GSP in April, and I am looking to find the best to feed him. I just want to understand all this so tah tI can make a more educated decision.
I feed Black Gold 26/18 - that stands for 26% protien 18% fat. Depending on what your dogs age, breed, &activities are usually determines the "best" percentage. My beagles & labs are worked hard (especially the beagles) so they need a high percentage feed. There is some really really good info on the internet, google it and I'll let them do the explaining b/c ingredients in the food is often equally important.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

believe me I will be the first one to tell you I feed my wife's house dogs kibble n bits. I dont believe in feeding my hound dogs food for a dollar a pound and I don't think it is much better thanmedium priced dog food. I have to have their preformance to be top level in the deer woods though and they need a high protein food(27-28%). They are very healthy according to the vet and run 'like the wind blows'.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

What do these numbers mean?
The numbers here that I am reffering to is the amount of fat and protien. 30/20 would mean 30% fat and 20 percent protien.. Omgega fat helps them in a number of ways and an active dog needs the fat as well as the protien to keep them going. Also one of the benefits is to help keep their coat nice.. I hope this helps some.

I found for mine, there was just too much filler in it and it went right through him.
Iam not sure what you are trying to say here. The filler is in fact greens and ect... that is also a part of their diet. Ever see a dog eat grass?, they need some of these greens in their regular food as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

The numbers here that I am reffering to is the amount of fat and protien. 30/20 would mean 30% fat and 20 percent protien..
Phil,

I think it's the opposite. 30/20 means 30% protein and 20% fat.

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_Power.html

Quick Reply: WHAT BRAND OF DOG FOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.