Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

German jagdterrier

Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stand watie
54bore; MudderChuck,

Despite the TRUTH in your posts & other, what chance do you believe a Jagt terrier would have against a 125KG Russian-Domestic hybrid boar.
(I once saw such a feral boar of about 100KG tear-up a well trained & very game Pit Bull/catch dog, that likely weighed at least 25KG. = The Pit got 2nd place in the ugly/bloody fight.)

That's why the Texas Blue Lacey was "created" from coyote, English Shepherd, wolf, pit bull & perhaps other breeds to herd, trail & fight wild hogs..
(Truth is that the Lacey family is VERY SECRETIVE about what breeds were actually used to create the breed. = Truthfully, outside of the Lacey family, I don't think anyone KNOWS the "mix", though I know one small animal vet in Athens, TX who CLAIMS to actually know.)

Personally, IF I really wanted a BIG/TOUGH & game dog that can actually WIN a fight in the brush with a big boar, it would be a pup from a local breeder, who calls his dogs: SPOTTED CURS. - He's been breeding his "local variety" of Cur for likely 2 decades plus.
(The males at maturity weight about 40-55KG, with the females about 10KG less. - NO, Mr. Brownlee won't tell anyone his "recipe" either.)
My mechanic's father, Adolphus ___________ de ________________, in south San Antonio has an about 5-6YO male SPOTTED CUR that is steel gray with half-dollar size black spots. = "Fetch" was being "taken for a walk" by one of Adolphus's grandsons in the Fall of 2017 when a pack of feral dogs attacked grandson/cur. - The pack of feral dogs LOST the fight, though Tomas & the Spotted Cur were injured in the melee. = When Steve (my mechanic) & his dad were called to the scene, they found 4 of the dog-pack's members dead & one that had to be put down. The rest of the pack had departed the area.

yours, tex
You have to respect a Wild Boar or feral Pig. most of their instinct is to get away, but they can fight and sometimes will fight. IMO Bay Dogs are your best bet, a dog that will worry and bay a pig into immobility and not latch on.
We do drive hunts for Hogs a couple of times a year here. we sometimes have 20 plus dogs on the drive.

open 24 hours near me
Old 06-23-2019, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Tex, I recognize your writing style from a different forum I think but you use a different name I believe.

​​​​​​24CF possibly?

-Jake
Old 06-23-2019, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stand watie
54bore; MudderChuck,

Despite the TRUTH in your posts & other, what chance do you believe a Jagt terrier would have against a 125KG Russian-Domestic hybrid boar.
One of the biggest problems with the Jagd and larger Game is it’s smaller size, 25-30 pounds would be a BIG Jagd, About 15-25 Pounds being the most realistic. They have the Guts/Grit/Game, But Their Size is against them. Back when i had my Female i knew a Guy in BC (Wolf Diechel) he owned a little Male he called “Fin” Fin was a Bear and Cat dog (Cougar, Bobcat) He would Tree a Cat just like a Hound. Fin was also a good Bear Dog, He was 1 of the Few Jagds that i knew of that had the Sense to back out in BAD trouble, My Little Female would have BOILED in and LOCKED on, Which would have been the Death of her. My little Female was Killed By an American Bulldog, She was up in BC at a Friends (Man i got her From) to be Bred to his Male. He also had some American Bulldogs he used as “Catch dogs” Somehow my Little Female escaped her Kennel (likely climbed out) She got in a Fight with the Bulldogs through a fence (100 plus pound Dogs) She was Pulled Through the Chain link Fence. I cannot speak for all Jagdterriers, But the ones i was around were BRUTALLY Tough, Gamey Little Dogs, They were simply to Game/Tough for their own Good on Larger Game. I have heard of others that have used them for Big Game with good luck, A Government Hunter in Montana used 1 as Coyote Decoy Dog, That would have been Murder on my Little Dog. I believe you would go through a LOT of Jagds to find 1 that fit your Wants/Needs, And be prepared for a LOT of Vet Visits Unless you do your Own.

Wolf Diechel and “Riot” “Riot” Was a 1 Dog Bear Dog, He was a RARE Jagd in my experience/opinion

Wolf Diechel’s “Finn” Treeing a Cougar

My Little Female
Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Jagdterriers are AWESOME little Hunting Dogs, I had planned to use mine as a “Hole Dog” on Coon, It was very common to have Coon go in the Ground, A good little Jagd will go in and Lock up Face to Face and Bring him to the Surface I seen it MANY times with my Little Female. My Little dog wasn’t a great Pet though, I loved her to pieces, But she was the kind of Dog that her Prey Drive over took EVERYTHING, A House cat, etc. etc. Pretty much Anything was Game to her. She had to Stay in Kennel, or Tied. The occasions i did bring her in the House she was truly a Baby! She was VERY Loyal to me.

1 last story on my Female and what she was like, I had her Bred at 1-1/2, maybe 2 years old to a Patterdale Terrier, We had hoped the pups would end up a Little more Docile, These were to be Strictly hunting Dogs, and only went to Working/Hunting Homes (2 of these pups made the Cover of EarthDog/Running Dog) My Little Female had 7 Pups if memory serves me right? Anyway, As she was having her pups I made the mistake of picking 1 up, She was in the middle of Giving birth, as quick as she Seen that Pup in my hand She lunged, Grabbed it, and Shook. Her Prey Drive LITERALLY overtook her Motherly instincts. In order to Handle, mess with the Pups i had to Get Her away from them, I believe she would have done the EXACT same thing when they were 8 Weeks old and Ready to leave. They are NOT for the Faint at heart, At least Mine wasn’t.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a sounder of Hogs in a giant ripe Cornfield (half a section) and the farmer wanted them out of there. We turned ten or so German Drahtharr, my Weimaraner and a couple of German shorthair pointers loose in the Cornfield. Those hounds ran those Hogs until the Dogs were completely worn out and never managed to drive them out of the Corn. The group of hunters I was with asked for ideas, mine was to try Terriers and see what happened, maybe they could move through the Corn easier.
So much for my bright idea, those Hogs ran those Terriers back and forth through the Cornfield for hours but the Dogs finally managed to drive them out of the Corn. The trouble started when the Hogs ran through a pasture full of Cows with the Terriers still in pursuit. The Terriers were so worked up they forgot all about the Hogs and went after the Cows. Four or five of them latched onto one cow who broke through the fence and went running down the main street of a nearby village with most of the Terriers still hanging on. A good idea gone way wrong. I can laugh about it now but at the time my face was really red.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Spike

Bocajnala,

NOPE. - As far as I can remember, I've never used "24CF" as an alias. - In any event, I don't think that my writing style is in any measure unique.

yours, tex
Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 AM
Spike

DUPE post. SORRY

yours, tex

Last edited by stand watie; 06-23-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Spike

Mudder Chuck,

The dogs in the photos in your post #11 look like Weimeraners to me.

yours, tex
Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Spike

I think Jagdterriers are awesome little Hunting Dogs
Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Tex,

That referred to the site. 24 hour campfire, sorry that wasn't clear in my initial post.

Not the user name

Are you a member over there as well?

Good to have you here either way
​​​​​​-Jake

Quick Reply: German jagdterrier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.