Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here... >

Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here...

This is probably the sort of thread that drives you regulars nuts, but I've read and searched before I posted so....

I am looking for a dual purpose dog and have pretty specific needs. I've read lots of opinions, and I don't really need anymore of those I need help finding a dog that'll fit these requirements.

Purpose #1 is family pet. We have a 2 year old, and will be adding another child in the next year or so, so it has to be kid friendly. The wife has also set a very firm NO SHEDDING requirement, and we prefer short hair. We live in the country and have invisible fence and lots of running room, and we enjoy taking walks and would of course play with the dog a lot. But we still don't want a spastic breed. It needs to be calm and collected when inside with the family. I don't really enjoy being around overly high strung and "needy" breeds.

Purpose #2 is pheasant hunting. I don't hunt waterfowl, just pheasants and an occassional chuckar or whatever upland birds we happen across. I don't go every weekend, but I do make a couple trips to the in-laws in SD and get out here in IA a few 3-5 times a season.

I also would like a breed that isn't too big. I have a small airplane that we take to SD, and a big bruiser dog simply won't fit in the back. Well, he might but our luggage wouldn't... So a medium size dog would be best.

So lets hear what you guys think would fit the bill. If I can't find one that satisfies the requirements, I'll have to keep hunting buddies' dogs. And nobody wants to have to hunt other peoples' dogs all the time
Old 09-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here...

Well, that is a tall order...

A good family dog, doesnt shed, is lazy, but still is a great hunting dog...? Not sure if that exists.

My first Thoughts are a German Shorthair.
You might have tojust accept the hyper part if you want a good hunting dog, when I say Hyper, I mean energetic. Lazy dogs are not good hunters, lathargic dogs are not good hunters, just good feet warmers.
Get a dog with drive, and a Great bird dog has bottom and drive, which requires surplus energy. ( this means an ALL day dog). GSP's make wonderful companions, rather medium sized, and super hunters. Like all bird dogs, they are energetic.

Next best thing I would think is English Pointer.

Good luck finding the "Perfect Dog"... Its probably going to come down to either you or her makinga small compramise to get the right dog.

EDIT: Any hunting dog is going to be "needy", they need training and hunting time. They dont come pre-assembled, you have to put the pieces together... Even finished dogs require you to work them.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM

You probably don't understand the context of "needy" that I'm using, because you have never met my current (and damn near worthless) lab mix, lol. I am happy with dogs that want to be around you and interact; I should have probably not let my current dog's insanity muddle my vocabularly...

Those are actually the two breeds I was looking at. English Pointer then German Shorthair. I haven't been around either one enough to really know them. I know some Vizlas, and they are probably a bit too spastic for my taste. At least the ones I know. I understand energy, which is unavoidable, but don't really want spastic. I'm probably not expressing myself very well here, lol.

How about this; which one is more capable of being sedate at the appropriate times?

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

Well, that is a tall order...

A good family dog, doesnt shed, is lazy, but still is a great hunting dog...? Not sure if that exists.

My first Thoughts are a German Shorthair.
You might have tojust accept the hyper part if you want a good hunting dog, when I say Hyper, I mean energetic. Lazy dogs are not good hunters, lathargic dogs are not good hunters, just good feet warmers.
Get a dog with drive, and a Great bird dog has bottom and drive, which requires surplus energy. ( this means an ALL day dog). GSP's make wonderful companions, rather medium sized, and super hunters. Like all bird dogs, they are energetic.
Not sure I agree with this as I have 7 GWPs that live in the house and lay around on the furniture and floor alot. They also get their excersice every day. Just spent 2 days walking the sunflower feilds with 2 of them dove hunting. Sure, they slept good at night but had 110% in the feild. They lasted longer than I did. My 2 yr. old grandsons (twins) come over and are licked to death for the 1st 10 minutes and then everyone settles back down to normal. Oh, did I mention that the GWPs shed very little! Look at the temperment of the parents and go from there.
Good Luck
WYOWIRES
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A dog that doesn't shed is a Labradoodle. I don't know what sort of disposition they have, probably depends on how you treat it... I know poodles can be rather mean. Labs can be anything from sweet, to hyper to mean as a rattlesnake.

Friendly around kids is a Golden (my personal pick), also make fantastic hunting dogs, unless you want it to point... then you are out of luck. And they do shed, but not as bad as labs do, not even close. And they aren't really small.

I think that you should seriously consider a Boykin. They don't shed terribly much at all, and are no larger than a Cocker Spaniel. I have hunted behind boykins that flushed quail, and the first Tundra Swan I ever shot was brought to hand by a Boykin with a heck of a lot of heart (it was a water retrieve mind you... it couldn't drag the thing out of the water). They are very sweet around kids, and very very loyal dogs. Here is a website I would take a peak at. Most folks that are not from the southeast have never really heard or seen Boykins, as they are not recognised by the AKC (and thats by the wishes of the breeders, not the AKC).

This website gives you the background info on the Boykin itself. A good friend and former co-worker of mine named Hamilton Boykin is a direct descentant of the breeds founder, in fact, he inherited Whit's Purdey 12 gauge. Ham's Boykin, Maggie, was a fixture at our shop in Charleston for several years. And was very easy going and friendly to all customers who came through the store each day.

http://www.boykinspaniel.org/boykin.html
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the best " General Purpose" dog you can have is a Lab. I hunt everything.. And when it comes to birds my Labs have always come through! Doves, pheasant, it doesn't really matter. And for a family dog. There ain't nothin better. You would not be disapointed with a lab pup.! As far as mean as a Rattlesnake.... You must be talking about Chesapeake's! IMHO...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Labs are out. They just shed way too much, and unless I could find a small one they're too big for my requirements.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Wyo,

A dog that is not passionate and entusiastic about running, sniffing, and hunting birds is not going to be a good hunter. Bottom Line.

In the training world, this sort of quality is often referred to as "Bottom and Drive" Meaning, the dog "can and will" hunt all day. An unconditioned dog that doesnt get much field time often runs himself out in 15 minutes... Then you find the dog laying in the shade panting to death instead of hunting. I dont know how your wires are, dont really care. But the majority of pointer breeds (GSP, EP, Brits, Setters) will run themselves out if they are too excited about finally getting to hunt. 2 days a year is hardly enough hunting in my opinion to have 7 dogs.

We will see what Dale has to say, he breeds boykins I think. And he is a firm believer in Bottom and Drive, and making sure the dog isnt kept in a kennel for 363 days a year.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 PM

I hunted with a guy that had a French Brittany this last year, nice little pointing dog. Don't know much about them, but it's a thought.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM

The more I read about GSPs, the more I think that will be my next dog. I found a breeder who appears to be reputable and has a pile of awards, references, etc; but more important to me he seems to share much of my vision for what a good dog should be. I'm going to get some references, but how else should I check into a breeder?

Quick Reply: Dog selection help- I've got a tall order here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.