HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   out of control peeing lab (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/204932-out-control-peeing-lab.html)

Jackies768 08-30-2007 03:36 PM

out of control peeing lab

I have 5 month old lab now and she was potty trained at 3 months. The last couple days she has been peeing alot in my house and in her crate. I take her out every three hours, sometimes two hours and 30 min after she eats and drinks. She pees when she comes out of her cage and then i say no and she goes somewhere else and pees again before i can get her. yesterday she was laying in the kitchen and i was taking my daughter out of her highchair and the dog peed right under neath my feet and i yelled no at her and then i tried grabbing her but i had my daughter in my hands and couldnt reach her so the dog moved and peed two more times before i got her out the door. Please give me some suggestions on what i can do to keep the dog from peeing in my house!

jay7108 08-30-2007 03:47 PM

RE: out of control peeing lab

I have a yellow lab and she has never peed in the house in 7 years, then one night she was going like every 3-4 hours, went to the vet and she had a urinary infection. You could probably take a fresh sample to your vet and have them check it for a uti. We gave her some meds for a week and all is good. I think they even give them like cranberry pills. Good luck!

Bruce H 08-31-2007 06:17 AM

Like jay7108 said, the very first thing to do is get to a vet and have her checked for a UTI, the sooner, the better.

Ifshe shows up negative for a UTI, then you probably have to start all over with housebreaking. For whatever reason, some dogs seem to regress at about that age. There is a very good book (IMHO) on housebreaking called How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days by Shirlee Kalstone that we recommend to our puppy buyers. Good book if you have not had a lot of experience in housebreaking dogs. It sells used on Amazon for $3.98 or so.

Bruce

liquidorange 09-01-2007 07:11 PM

talk to a vet. my 9 years old beagle started peeing and drinking water like it was going out of style and she got tested and found out she had cushings disease. this is usually an older dog problem but you should get things checked out in case its a hormone problem.

Jackies768 09-03-2007 03:00 PM

yeah i took her to the vet three weeks ago for her regular checkup and she had a uti then and the vet gave us a lot of medicine to give her. roxie took it all and was fine for a week and now all the sudden she is doing it again. more so when my husband takes her out then with me. im thinking that she associates something with my husbadn that makes her pee maybe and if so is there anything that i can do or that he can do to train her not to pee in the crate or house when he takes her out? she has another vet appt for this wednesday or thursday at 4pm so ill find out if its another uti then. hopefully not cuz they hurt. :( poor pup!