Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Flusher or Pointer?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Flusher or Pointer?

I was just woundering what you guys like for a hunting dog, aFlusher or Pointer? And what do you think the pros and cons are to each?I really cant say what I like because I've only hunted with Springers and a lab crossed with a retriever.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Flusher or Pointer?

Pointer, I can kick the bush to flush, or the dog will....
Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

What are you going to do with the dog in the field and what do you expect the dog to do when it's not in the field? If you are looking for an all around gun dog a flushing dog is hard to beat. If you decide you want an field bred springer or cocker let me know. I'll be happy to send you to a good breeder in your area.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: springerDIVA

What are you going to do with the dog in the field and what do you expect the dog to do when it's not in the field? If you are looking for an all around gun dog a flushing dog is hard to beat. If you decide you want an field bred springer or cocker let me know. I'll be happy to send you to a good breeder in your area.
Oh I already own a Springer, I was just woundering what other people like.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 AM

I prefer the pointers myself. Sure, the arguement can be mad on Pheasants that wild bird will run, and run, and run, and that is why a flusher is better. No doubt thatthe birds will run, and the flushers may follow till the birds fly. I just find that the pointers tend to work a little closer to the shooters. I know, somebody out there is saying that is all about the training...yada yada yada. Flushers can work close too.I just prefer that the bird goes up a little closer to when I want it to, than when the dog spooks it up, maybe too far out to shoot at. Not to mention, there is really something to be said for seeing a good pointing doglock up on something. That's just my opinion though.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like pointers the best, up here the area I like to hunt is mostly wooded and a pointing dog does me well. I like seeing them lock up when scenting a grouse or woodcock nearby. It also gives me time to be ready for the bird to come up. The advanced time is always a plus when trying to get a shot at these flying through the trees.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Spike

Pointer...and teach him to flush on command
Old 08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I enjoy watching a pointer work. You can cover more ground as you can let the pointer run out abit. Flushers you want within gun range.

If the birds running, some pointers will purposely try to surround the bird and push it towards you but that only comes with experience and sometimes training.

And like others say, there's nothing like watch a dog running full speed then slamming on point. It gets your blood pressure up.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a young man, I really enjoyed the adrenalin rush of a flush. Now that I'm older and slower, I've come to appreciate the point.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

well,i hunt with both but i like SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB BEST ,its a flusher..
grouse here RUN more than sit..
the pointers are pointing and grouse is gone,yet thats not bad , at least you are ready and know that grouse is there..

with FLUSHER i have, i have to keep my gun up all time and watching him work all time because grouse will just flush wild..

so,pointer is a lot easier to be ready to shoot, flusher you have to be ready all time..

for some reason, pointers hunt way out,flushers which i mean my LAB hunts real close..

to me any dog that hunts close is one i want to be with, flusher or pointer...

LAB is one i like most.....

Quick Reply: Flusher or Pointer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.