Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How do you stop a BARKING dog >

How do you stop a BARKING dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How do you stop a BARKING dog

Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM

Default How do you stop a BARKING dog

My son got a Lab for duckhunting and the dog does good when you are working with him but he barks and barks when he is in his kennel or tied out. He is about 8 months old now and is about to drive my son and his family nuts.(not to mention his neighbors).

Any tips on what to do. He doesn't want to get rid of him but won't be able to keep him if he doesn't stop barking.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you stop a BARKING dog

Sounds like he wants to be in the house like everyone else. Seperation aniexty.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

two words: shock collar
Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

My money says somebody let the pup out because he wouldn't stop barking (or at least he thought). Amazing how quickly they learn what they need to do to get out.

I would do two things:

1. Never ever let the dog out of the kennel/off the stake/whatever until he is calm.

2. Buy a antibark collar from either Tritronics or Dogtra. I bought the Dogtra for my dog and find the Tritronics is a bit more sensitive.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

There really isn't nothing you can do until the dog grows alittle older. A bark collar will work until the battery runs out and you'll find yourself constantly going to the store.

My dog also barks up a storm especially when seeing a cat. Even with a bark collar, she will bark until she can't stand the pain anymore, which is a considerable amount. I once put her in the garage to see how long she'll last, outlasted me at 9 hours straight.

Temporary solution: a good bark collar. Do not get innotek as it's a disposable deal, went bust after 1st battery died. The separate prong for the vibration models are okay if the dog is stupid enough not to scratch it, knocking it off the vocal chords. It still works until its completely turned, unit is laying on top of the neck.

Permanent solution: debarking. It may seem cruel but it's just like neutering/spaying. They narrow the windpipe so the sound isnt as loud. It's much more humane than having to give the dog up to a shelter or other problems which crop up with a barking dog. Costs is around $500.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mustad

My money says somebody let the pup out because he wouldn't stop barking (or at least he thought). Amazing how quickly they learn what they need to do to get out.

I would do two things:

1. Never ever let the dog out of the kennel/off the stake/whatever until he is calm.

2. Buy a antibark collar from either Tritronics or Dogtra. I bought the Dogtra for my dog and find the Tritronics is a bit more sensitive.

Good luck
Yep.

Classic puppy trick. Those big brown eyes, and a cry that would have you think they are dying a firery death when you lock them up at night.

Gotta be hard and firm. They will shut up after 15 min or so. Just can't give an inch. If you let them out once... they'll never forget it.

Subsequently, if my dog (who didn't get let out) ever barks in the crate and just won't stop.... something is amiss. Usually, he needs to answer natures call. I let him out, he does his business and then he goes right back in, even opens the hatch for himself... he knows the drill.

Just gotta suck up the noise. You are probably going to get an e collar anyway for training, and that is one solution to teach him to hush up.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM

We are lucky I guess, as our dogs don't seem to bark to bad except at feedings or when someone they don't know shows up. Also helps that they are on a farm, not really any neighbors to worry about. Do know a coonhound breeder that has alot of dogs. Have been with him on a few competition hunts and those dogs are loud. They're alot loader then our upland/waterfowl dogs, but you would never know it as his place is very quiet. He uses bark collars and would have to say, they seem to work for him. Like anything, get a good one.

If you do get rid of the dog, don't just take him to the shelter! Please do right by him, and put him in a good home. To many dogs going to the shelter for foolish reasons.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Dogs often bark out of boredom. I'll bet if you increase his exercise and frequency the problem will taper off. Also you can use a spray bottle full of water. Give him a command, i.e. "no bark".
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Bark collars work, but the dog will figure it out.

I havea beagle that never shuts up, got a bark collar, and she barks really fast, to get in as many barks as possible before it zaps her... Then she yelps, and it zaps her for that too. So she also trys to bark as quietly as she can without getting hit. Its really funny howcreative some dogs are.

A collar might keep him from barking, so might a commandlike springer suggested. But its ultimately a dog, and dogs bark...thats what they do.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Dogs Bark, At Feeding Time or when someone pulls uo to the kennels.
This is Ok.
A dog that barks for no reason needs a Dogtra Collar. If they wear the battery out. Then they need their azz wore out
Consistancey is the key.
If all else fails
There are too many good dogs in this world to concentrate on a bad one.

Quick Reply: How do you stop a BARKING dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.