Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 How do you stop a BARKING dog >

How do you stop a BARKING dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How do you stop a BARKING dog

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM

Default RE: How do you stop a BARKING dog

No arguement about getting a collar, just pointing out that dogs will bark regardless if they want, because barking is natural.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

my lab barks his head off in front seat of my truck to go hunting,its terrible..
i have yet to have solution other than getting kennel for truck bed but he will just bark all way to woods, people look and think i am nuts...

i tried every command to stop it,he goes nuts to go hunting..
he will jump over your shoulders to get in truck to go...
he even lunges at me when i get in front seat with his mouth,he is hunting nuts..

I WISH I HAD SOLUTION TOO....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 PM

Ignore them--don't give them attention when they pull that crap off. I know it gets annoying but wear ear plugs or something. If ignoring them isn't an option, then get a bark collar. I just use a regular training collar(manually operated) and when he barks, say "HUSH". If he doesn't give him a zap. Hopefully he'll learn and he might learn to associate that word so that you can eliminate the collar.

One other option is to put a muzzle on them for part of the day. Some people might disagree but it's an option that can be used as a last resort. You have to make sure they get in their eating and stuff as well though. You can't just leave it on them. best of luck to you!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 PM

I wouldnt muzzle a dog (for an extended period), how would they pant? If it was hot, how would they pant and get water??
Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

mustad hit the nail on the head. Tritronics bark collar is the best $95 I ever spent! I've got 2 of them and 12 dogs and haven't had to use one in months. Only 1 of my dogs figured it out. Not a lick out of her when its on, but take it off and she'll bark every now and then. The tritronics has a counter on it also which is neat, as soon as you turn it off, the level 3 indicator flashes for each time the dogs been shocked. It's 5 levels and no matter what, I'd recommend starting low (2) and working your way up.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, a downside to bark collars, you shouldn't leave them on very long. I forget what the manual says it was something like 4 hrs. or 1 day (see I have no idea) but I've left them on for several days w/ no ill effects. Had a buddy leave one on tight fora week and the prongs infected the dogs neck.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

I wouldnt muzzle a dog (for an extended period), how would they pant? If it was hot, how would they pant and get water??
Don't muzzle them on hot days and take it off occasionally. The dog will be fine. It is a simple, cheap tool to teach them that their mouth needs to stay shut. If you ask me, it's just as humane as a shock collar.

Use your own discretion. It was just an idea.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM

You might look into a Citronella collar. It works just like a E-Collar, but instead of a shock, it blasts a little spray of citronella up toward the dogs nose. harmless to dogs (as far as i know). The little mist of the stuff distract them ad they stop barking. Might take a couple of shots for them to figure it out, but it works. You can leave this one on all day, no prongs to go into their neck. Can't remember how much they are. I believe it runs on one of those camera lookn batteries, and you refil it with a can similir to a can of butane.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 PM

I believe we tried one once and it didn't work......not sure though

it's worth a try
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 PM

had to get one a couple years back for my Bassett Hound while I had a 2 month hotel stay in California. I was skeptical about it, but I had really good results.

Good luck with this one/