Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brit won't use her nose

Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brit won't use her nose

Thats honestly what I'm starting to think is happening. Because she can't even locate food such as cheese with her nose. My little yorkshire will find the food even if I hide it under stuff but my brit is never figures it out.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Took her to the vet today her smeller is good. She just has selective smelling she just doesn't want to bother using her nose so she won't. Not exactly sure if thats good news or bad news. She's not broken just stubborn.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

ACutting- well that's good news. I think maybe the problem is she just hasent learned to use her nose yet. good luck im sure she will be fine, but i would try letting a trainer take her for a while.

Jonesy good to hear from you again
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe something is not clicking in her head. Perhaps, she can't differenciate between scent?

So, you're saying you put her on a CC then approach a planted quail, she doesn't smell it but bumps it then chase. Every other time, you let her free to chase black birds around the yard.

Have you shot over her yet? It seems to me she is enjoying the chase and not thinking about 'hunting'. How many times you've taken her hunting?

My dog I'll let her chase squirrels, rabbits, etc. She'll also creep on robins, tail down, stalking. I don't mind; she enjoys it. But get a pheasant hiding in a bush in front, she'll hold firm, tail high. That only comes with bird exposure and actually getting out there.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think Mite has stated a key thing for you, get her some more exposure and see what happens. I do not believe that she has had enough exposure to know what you are trying to do. Sent a few bushes as well to get her hunting around without any thing there once in a while. But, keep at her she should come around and try to get her out as much as possible. Even if it is only 15-30 minutes a day will help her..
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 AM

I wont argue about what an how, the dog isnt useing the nose, when its needed...if it has one. When the vet done the smellin test, was the dog able to see the stuff that it supposedly smelled? Like dogs learn to look an smell together. I am working a setter here that I believe is deaf, or darn close to. But she has learned being with other dogs how to accomidate the loss or no hearing booger she has going on...when she looks at me will come running, if she is going away or past me, where she cant she, I can holler, or sing to her, blow whistle, shoot gun, honk truck horn, man all sorts of things, and I get no response, or reaction out of her. everything in this situation will be ok, because everything works but her ears. She is still a trainable dog. The nose not working is a major concern, the vets arent as smart as they seem to be in different circumstances. I would say this could be a time when book smart, an not street smart plays a roll. Unfortunately. Jonesy
Old 08-10-2007, 05:25 AM

Phil, 3-5 birds on a dog an it should be pointing, or real close , maybe even flash point if its smelling. I would like to see it an set the dog up, but would bet it doesnt work. Its just a common things that I have heard on street an experienced that happens in the brit lines. Jonesy
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will not argue either Jonsey but, one test i would give to her would be to find go buy a dog bone with a little meat on it. Then I would let her have it for a short while, and take it away from her. Then tiea piece of string on it and drag it through the tall grass. If she can find it then you would know her nose works and if not then I would say it is time to give up on her training. That is just my 2 cents on this.

I had a nieghbor that had a Brit and all that one would do was flush them. He didn't mind as he got to see alot of birds though, and we know what fun it is to try and shoot them on the wing. It is a whole lot harder shooting like that especialy with the grouse flying zig zag thru the trees..
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

They did a strange scent test at the vet where they actually took clothing and put scent on it in one spot then she if she would find the scent on the clothing and she would go straight to it every time. She's obviously capable of smelling. I haven't hunted the dog because I can't get her to point anything during training sessions. She hasn't been on that many quail anyways because the state I am in its very difficult to get a hold of quail for dog training you have to apply for a wild game permit and have special caging for the birds and all kinds of crap and wild birds here don't exist we don't have a wild population of quail or pheasants. Once it cools off a bit I think I will probably take her to the trainer again or apply for the permit and and locate some birds. I have access to a couple of nice fields that I can train her in. Place some birds out for her and start working her. Last time I got ahold of some I did that but she just ran the birds over. Should I hobble the birds or what should I do on the actually setting techniques? And should I shoot some over her even if she's not pointing correctly? Obviously something I've done in training isn't correct or I wouldn't be having this problem (least that is how I feel)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 AM

Its good that the nose works,

As far as shooting over her, Slow down, back up, stop!
Dont get into a hurry, just get her to start finding birds. NO shooting, no CC, let her get birdy. Then work on getting her steady, then in a few weeks or months, when she is finding (Nose), and pointing, and is steady for the flush of the covey, start thinking about shooting over her.

Quick Reply: Brit won't use her nose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.