Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brit won't use her nose

Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Brit won't use her nose

Have you tried bird scents (liquid) during yard work? She wont be able to see it, but will smell it.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I use pheasant scent on her big bumper and quail on her small bumper. She still can't go out in the yard and find her own toy though. I'm about to take her back to the trainer and leave her with him for a week or two and see what he comes up with.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Have you tried putting birds out and let your dog go (no check cord) and see what it does?
The reason I ask is I was having a problem kinda like yours w/ my dog. I had him on the CC and would lead him to the bird and it seemed like he couldnt smell. but I got w/ a trainer and he said unhook the CC once and see what happends and he went flying around finding/flushing/chasing all the birds. so the problem was not the nose it was for some reason or other he was shutting down on the CC.
another thing is at this time of year depending on the heat and a no breeze its a little harder for them to pick up scent and even more so for an unexperienceddog.
I am not a trainer so take that w/ a grain of salt. and I also agree w/ what Dale said.

oh you said about taking him to a trainer. well that might be the best option.
good luck and keep us posted

I should add that my dog was a champ at sight pointing. but would not point on scent. a bunch of hard flying birds and releases was the trick
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've never taken her off the CC on quail i'm worried she'd catch them. From what I've seen though even the black birds and cow birds she chases she doesnt scent them she just runs around looking for them by sight.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Why i stated to put the dog up is because.
You know she smells them, yet refuses to act.
This is a form of blinking.
more than likely from too much bird contact / training.
give the dog a break. then see what happens.
Often i am faced with problem dogs. After evaluation of the problem. In most cases it is several problems.
90% of the time i start them all over again.
It works
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: daleh

Why i stated to put the dog up is because.
You know she smells them, yet refuses to act.
This is a form of blinking.
more than likely from too much bird contact / training.
give the dog a break. then see what happens.
Often i am faced with problem dogs. After evaluation of the problem. In most cases it is several problems.
90% of the time i start them all over again.
It works
This comes across differently to me than "restart in a few months" did. I agree about taking a break, but I wouldnt let the dog develop too many bad habits without correction through interaction/training... thats all I was trying to say. A few months just seems like too big of a gap to me, but if it works it works.
Thanks Dale.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 PM

This is a tough one to answer not knowing alot about her early bird exposure and the amount of bird exposure she's had. But, anytime in training your come up against a problem is either time to slow down, or back up. Inthis case, I think you need to back up. Alot of the ability for you to fix this dog would depend on your ability to get her in the field and into birds. Not just once in a while, I mean lots and lots of birds. I would get some good flying quail or chukar. Find a field or two that has thick enough cover that she won't see a bird. Plant the field with a few birds, then turn her loose without the CC. Let her find birds, bump, chase, and hopefully not catch. If she bumps them and chases down and catches them, no big deal at this point. She's got problems, and sometimes you need to let her get away with some things, in order to fix others. Some brittanies i have trained are very prone to bumping birds and have an almost impulsive desire to chase birds all over the place including those of the non-gamebird variety. This is good up to a point to build desire, but a 1 1/2 year old dog should start to realize these are not the primary focus while in the field. You need to discourage this....GENTLY. I would stop her from running wild chasing birds around the house at leastwhile you try to get her focused on pointing game birds. If you can't get her into alot of birds, on a regular basis, then a trainer would probably be your best option.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Just wondering. What kind and variety of food was themother (Geez - can't use the word b - i - t - c - h on a gun dog site?)of the litter that your dog came from on?
What kind and variety of food do you have your dog on?
Do you know anything about the other pups from the litter as far as their noses?
I'lll try again.................see above.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

My dog loved to chase non game birds like yours. and like this time of year he still does cause he gets bored when we are out just for a run and not hunting or training. but throw in some game birds and he could careless about the non gamebirds. But i have a big problem if i shoot and miss a bird he is on the chase.

Sixxemkennels- I was looking at your site, you have some nice dogs. I love the Fiddler in the EP pedigrees.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 AM

I honestly bet the nose on her doesnt work, or work to its full extent. Common in the brits, in general, and has been a common factor in the differenmt lines of. Unfortunately, they are nice dogs. I washed one out last summer, never attempted to do a thing, loved birds, had alot of desire, but could not point, never once made the acknowledgemnet that a bird was present. Had extra feathers out, had went up, and down wind, over the top, in the mornin an the evening, never once tried to show me the smell in the air changed. Kept it a month showed my owner, an we sent home. It happens, unfortunate, but it does. Not making that call here on yours, but awful strange coincidence. Thanks Jonesy

Quick Reply: Brit won't use her nose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.