Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Blood trailing dogs

Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Blood trailing dogs

In Ohio it's legal to Blood Trail wounded deer by use of a Leashed dog.

Since I don't have the ability to do this training. Is there a place where trained dogs can be bought? It's not so much for me personally, but I think it would be a good resource for local hunters to have someone to call to help them and keep "us" as bowhunters in a positive light by not "losing" so many.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: Blood trailing dogs

GR8atta2d:

You might check out the following two web sites:

United Blood Trackers.org - John and Jola Jeanneney are the site owners. You mightcontact them personally ([email protected]) to see what might be available in the way of a trained blood tracking dog.

Tracking Dog Message Board (http://www.thetroutbum.com/messageboardfr.htm) - You can post a message on this board to see if anyone has a trained dog for sale. I know they have listed litters and adult dogs for sale in the past.

Good luck with your search.

Wildflugel
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the reply..will check out the links provided.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My friend has a chocolate lab that trails blood, and I have a walker houndthat tracks that will find a wounded deer. It isn't that hard to train a traditional 'hunting' breed, I have seen alot of hounds that will do this(beagles, black&tans, etc.) Chocolate labs are the quickest and smarter of the dogs IMHO, but a hound will also work.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Finding a trained blood tracking dog for sale is about like hitting the lottery and you will need to hit it to purchase one. I have seen a few advertised but they were 5,000 to 10,000. Very few individuals are willing to part with their trained dog for any amount of money, I know I would not. You are talking about a minimum of a 2 year comitment and countless hrs training to get a dog to a high degree of capabilities. With that much time and effort put into training people just do not want to part with them. It is as much training for you as it is for the dog. You have to learn to read you dog. You become a team. So even if you get a trained dog it will take at least a whole season before you get to were the two of you work together as a team.

Now you might find what I call a started dog. One that knows what blood tracking is allabout but just needs to mature and gain confidence. I know of one that is being trained right now till it is 6 months old and the cost was $3500 and that included the cost of the pup and all vet bills and up keep for the 6 months.

As Bryant stated, it is not that hard to train a dog. It just takes a couple of hrs 2 or 3 times a week to work the dog. An evening to lay trails and another to do the tracks, 1 or 2 times a week.

United Blood Trackers is actually owned by United Blood Trackers a(Not For Profit organization) not the Jeanneney's. Now John is the V.P. of the organization and Jolanta is the membership director. I am the Tres. for the organization.

Most breeders of tracking dogs have a waiting list. I know Kevin in Texas has a 2 year wait. Mine is about the same. I know John and Jolanta usually have a wait but do have 1 pup now they are working with. I do not know about its availability. But other than that I do not know of any litters at present time. Some of the others might. one thing to consider is that a majority of tracking dogs are inside dogs. This helps form the bond in the team. There are some kennel dogs that track but most are inside dogs. The breed of dog alsoneeds to be chosen according to how you are going to us it. If you are looking at getting on the tracks in under 12 hrs then many breeds of dogs will work. Over 12 hrs then you will need to lean toward one of the specialty breeds. Also how many tracks a year do you think you will be able to get a dog on? You will need to average around 20 to get and keep a dog in top shape.

As Wildflugel mentioned Thetroutbum message board is a good place to get answers. If you are not satisfied with what is on that board then going to one of UBT's tracking seminars, joing the organizationor getting with a member in your state to train with is a good place also get info. We have a member in Perrysburg. I do not know how far that is from you. If you want his info send me a P.M. and I will get it for you. I am sure he would be willing to give you training advise and help you in any way he can. The members of this organization are some of the best people I have every had the pleasure of being around. They are willing to share their knowledge with anyone who wants to learn.

I know this was long but I hope it helped some or at least pointed you in a direction.

Ken
Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Ken for the reply. I have checked out your Organization, looks great. Sad to see only 1 member in my entire State!

I see everyone keeps saying kinda the same thing as you..Except a simple internet search turns up many dogs both trained and "started". I know it's buyer beware, but what advantages or gaurentees do I have dealing with a reputable breeder vs Joe Schmoo. I mean there is a semi~trained dog on this very sight for $1200. How do I know any dog will be better than the next.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful for the information..I just don't understand the big picture.

I'm purely just researching at the moment.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM

Hereis a hard core mean as He!! blood tracker dog!!!
Although he really can track, and he is very aggresive, hes just crazy.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

There might be a couple more members in your state but only one tracker decided to get listed in the find a tracker section of the web site.

As far as reputable breeder versus Joe Schmo. Find out why someone is selling their tracking dog. It might be that they are getting to old or they might have been injured some how and not be able to to work the dog and want to see it go to a home were it will be used. Then again it might be someone who has a dog that has found a few deer and they want to make somemoney off it. There are allways ways to test a dog before you purchase it to seehow it works. A lot of Reputable breeders will give you a tracking gurantee for dogs they breed. Also they breed for blood tracking specifically so this makes a difference. That is not to say that you can not find a good dog out of other stock. Heck many a back yard mutt has turned out to be good trackers. Even a few brees that you would never have though they would track have turned out to track. They are the exceptions to the breed. They just have limitations on the tracks they can do. The older the track and longerit goes the more you will need a good hunting breed dog. If you are partial to labs then find a good hunting litter and get a pup. If you are a bird or duck hunter then one of the versitle breeds like Deutsch Dratharrs (Sp) would be great since then you could use it for more than just blood tracking. There is a simple test you can do to see if a puppy is interested before you buy one. If they are interested in the track then they are on their way to becoming a tracking dog. What ever bred you look at getting , make sure its abilitiesmatch your needs. Just like the breed we raise. Not everyone out there needs a dog that can track a 40 + hr old track. So I turn people down who I do not feel meet the needs of the dog.

Your comment about one dog better than the next. All I can say is I would want to stack the deck in my favor the best I could. This meaning sticking with proven hunting stock, does not have to be pure breed just has to have the drive and nose.

I think you are going about this in the right manner. Taking your time and doing your research. Many people jump in without knowing what they are getting into. They go after the first dog that they find instead of finding the one that fits their situation. If I can every be of any help let me know.

Ken
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks again Ken, Yes, you are being a lot of help! I would like to think my tracking would be in the window of 12-24 hours
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

In that window, a hound dog would suffice. Deer dog hunting isvery popular in my area, andtrack dogs could be usedalso and are more plentful with a lower pricetag. My hound tracksthe scent of the deer, nottheactual blood, IMO- I would be willing to bet most dogs do this.

Quick Reply: Blood trailing dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.