Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Worming your dog?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Worming your dog?

I am new to owning a huntingdog, and he is my first dog too,so I am still learning about care. I am wondering how often you all worm your "hunting" dogs? Do you do it more often? Once every season of the year, once a month, or what?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Worming your dog?

i give my dogs the monthly pill (I use Interceptor) which prevents most worms, including heartworm and whipworm. HeartGuard is another product but it does not prevent whipworm, which is a problem in my area. Most cheap over the counter stuff you buydoes NOT give much protection against worms. They usually only target the most common types of intestinal parasites and, IMHO, do so quite poorly.

Remember that hunting/working dogs earn a living too. Be sure to feed them aQUALITY dry dog foodfrom a known a reputable company. Purina, Hills (Science Diet), Eukanubaor Diamond are great places to start.

The food and the medicine may be a bit expensive, but if you plan on hunting your dog hard and often, it will definitely save you hassles in the long run.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I give him heart guard once a month, and I feed him Kasco Puppy right now, but what about the pasty white crap, do I have to give him something like that? The vet gave him that every four weeks, when I had him in for his shots and boosters, but after he got his rabies shot, he said give him heart guard once a month, but I didn't know if that replaces the pastey stuff in the seringe, does it? if not, what is some good stuff for that?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

2-3 times a year after they are 1 yr old. I usually just take a look at their gums to make sure they are pink.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Once a month, with interceptor also. Not cheap, but well worth it in the long run.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Here is my worming program.
Nemex at 2,4,6,8,12 weeks followed by ivermec .25cc at 12 weeks
give .25 cc for next 3 mnths then gradually give larger dose as pup grows
Grown dogs mine adverage 50lbs
1/2 cc of ivermec each and every month
every 3 mnths 10 cc of nemex
every 6mnths Safeguard horse dewormer a 1/3 of the tube 3 days in a row followed by ivermec.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM

Ivermec works but can be very harmful if used wrong. You really need to know what you are doing with it. Was at a AKC hunt test and this subject came up. Well, as it turned out we had three vets that were handlers at this test. The three of them couldn't agree on the dose to give a 70 lb dog. Like I said, it does work fine but really isn't for the average guy. We used to us it, but went to interceptor a few years ago because mom, me, or my brother could give it with no problems when dad was gone.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

Does any one use Iverhart?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Spike

Heartgard Plus contains an intestinal wormer as well as one to kill heartworms, so nothing else is needed. The generic, Heartgold Plus, is much cheaper and excellent. I buy it from www.pets-megastore.com.au It always arrives quickly, and there is no need for a prescription; you'll find that a lot of vets are unwilling to sign prescriptions for companies that offer lower prices if they sell the product in their own office.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Ivermec also, around the same doseage as above. The best IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.