Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Which Dog to Get

Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which Dog to Get

ORIGINAL: sproulman

can you get beeper that only beeps say every 30 seconds..
that would be nice for my lab in heavy brush and me and might keep another hunter from shooting at my dog for coyote...

No sure about that. I don't think that either Dogtra nor Tritronics makes one, but you could check the other manufactureres. Out of curiosity, why every 30 seconds vs 5-10 seconds?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Spike

30 seconds is a long time at GSP speed! One thing I didn't mention is the destructive side if they don't get enough exercise. Obviously it varies from dog to dog, but mine will start chewing on things if he misses one walk. I've never seen a breed with such high energy, not even a Border Collie. He seems to love running just for the sake of running.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mustad

ORIGINAL: sproulman

can you get beeper that only beeps say every 30 seconds..
that would be nice for my lab in heavy brush and me and might keep another hunter from shooting at my dog for coyote...

No sure about that. I don't think that either Dogtra nor Tritronics makes one, but you could check the other manufactureres. Out of curiosity, why every 30 seconds vs 5-10 seconds?
i only want it so hunter will not shoot at my dog for coyote..
i dont like a lot of noise in woods when hunting and i know my lab is not more than 30 yds in front of me,actually maybe i should wear beeper,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cara

30 seconds is a long time at GSP speed! One thing I didn't mention is the destructive side if they don't get enough exercise. Obviously it varies from dog to dog, but mine will start chewing on things if he misses one walk. I've never seen a breed with such high energy, not even a Border Collie. He seems to love running just for the sake of running.
you are right!
i only saw 2 GSP hunting pheasants and all were covering territory WAYYYYYYYYYYYY,out in front of owners..
man, what a dog for covering territory..

i would put a GPS on one of those babies if i was hunting nor. central pa stategamelands.

i would be scared to death with GSP in the type of hunting for grouse i do here..

i want a dog no farther away from me than 30 yds max and 1 that looks for me..
if GSP can do that, i want one....
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have you ever seen an Irish Setter? Faster than you could believe and completely full of energy that lasts and lasts. Most of their running speed is from 15 to 18 miles per hour and that is a pace they set. Running at full tilt is a question on the speed. 1 of mine passed my wife in the car at 35 miles per hour on a blast of speed after it got loose on her once. Now she does it the easy way and just go outside and opens the car door. Within a few minutes it will be setting in the car waiting for a ride...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh yes, 36 years ago neighbor had 2 irish setters and they would fly hunting birds at highschool....

what difference between dogs, my lab hunts slow and close and setters,pointers,gsp cover territory....

you have to be young withsome dogs to keep up..
Old 09-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was raised with English Setters, so for a bird (pointing) dog, I'll always have a soft spot for a setter.

I have water dogs now.. as I live by the coast and not in the mountains... so Goldens do me well now.