Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Which Dog to Get

Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Dog to Get

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

It puzzles me as to why you would let one get hit by a car..[&:]

Mine has come from breeders and have had no one get bitten, alot of it is their upbringing. Some of it maybe from poorly bred dogs as well though..
dont want to get off topic but you are right..

bad breeders always have 1 or 2 dogs they cant get rid of,WHY, because puppy is acting strange..
then they take that puppy and breed it with someone elses dog and maybe that dog is strange acting..

i believe this is where BITING raises its ugly head..
those breeders dont care,its all about MONEY.
then you have others that dont know any better and breed their dogs with friend knowing that it bites..

this is why i believe you have to get dog from GOOD BREEDER,even tho prices are higher....

i am going thru it right now with my dog, he bites when you least expect it but is getting better...
his mother bit and should have not been bred, breeder denies mother bites,this is what you are up against if you buy from BACKYARD breeder...
Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I recommend that you start training thechildren before you get a dog. Small kids and pups can get into trouble as pups see them as equals. Here's a link to a good article. You can get a quality family gun dog going through reputable breeders and breed rescue. Several years ago we homed 17 dogs when our friend, mentor and breeder of one (now 3 of our dogs) passed suddenly. You might look at a "started dog" this dog has had some training and just may not make it as a trial dog or for what the trainer/breeder may want. My last gun dog was a field trial washout. Check with the parent club of each breed (national club to locate a local breeder). Always buy a gun dog from field lines.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/PBSAF2.pdf
http://www.akc.org/public_education/responsible_dog_owner.cfm#getready
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

i am going thru it right now with my dog, he bites when you least expect it but is getting better...
his mother bit and should have not been bred, breeder denies mother bites,this is what you are up against if you buy from BACKYARD breeder...
*shakes head* You should know better than to encourage a backyard breeder.

As for the pound subject, it's rare but can happen. Dogs get lost or owner can't believe how hyper the dog is and gets rid of it.

Still debating the English Setter vs. the GSP.
Get a GSP. Who knows, you just may enjoy waterfowling alot. A good GSP can keep upwith a good english setter, so you won't be missing much. (Except when they catch wind of deer or other critters.)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM

I do enjoy shooting waterfowl, that is why i have a strong interest in the GSP. I know tha tthey will hunt upland like a setter. And since I livein the south, i don;'t need a lab or a chessie for the ducks, we just don't have the ice or the need for that kind of dog.

Talked to the breeder today. Looks like he is going to be breeding the GSP's this week. With some luck, pups will be ready right around Christmas time. I come home in April from the desert, so I will get a 4 month started pup. I know, not much is going to be done in 4 months time, but some anyhow.

I don't have the dam's pedigree in front of me right now, but here is the Sire's:

Sire : Old Hickory Smoke
He is a natural backer and retriever. Most of his puppies are the same way. His sire is the Great Champion General Norman and grand sire NFC Rawhide Clown. His dam is Fancy's Wild Child and his grand dam is the famous Fancy White Trash
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Spike

I think we have got way off topic. My point was not that he should necessarily go to the pound to get himself a hunting dog; what I was trying to say was that despite having a horrible start in life, this particular dog is wonderful with children, and therefore I would not have any concerns about having a good GSP around them. Obviously it depends on the particular dog, and there are those who are willing to trade temperament for drive, but it is unfair to categorise GSPs as an aggressive breed or one that cannot make a good family companion as well as a working dog. Ultimately, it boils down to what behaviour you are willing to accept from it as a puppy and allow to continue into adulthood.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cara

I think we have got way off topic. My point was not that he should necessarily go to the pound to get himself a hunting dog; what I was trying to say was that despite having a horrible start in life, this particular dog is wonderful with children, and therefore I would not have any concerns about having a good GSP around them. Obviously it depends on the particular dog, and there are those who are willing to trade temperament for drive, but it is unfair to categorise GSPs as an aggressive breed or one that cannot make a good family companion as well as a working dog. Ultimately, it boils down to what behaviour you are willing to accept from it as a puppy and allow to continue into adulthood.
many GSP bite..
very few SETTERS bite..
GSP can be aggressive in home..
SETTERS are not
only from what i am reading.

SETTERS are better bird dog than GSP..again only what i am reading....

best solution,gewt a SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 PM

[/quote]

many GSP bite..
very few SETTERS bite..
GSP can be aggressive in home..
SETTERS are not
only from what i am reading.

SETTERS are better bird dog than GSP..again only what i am reading....

best solution,gewt a SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB...
[/quote]

Labs are great dogs, but base on wher I am living, and the hunting that I will be doing the most of, a Lab, IMO is notthe right dog for me.I live in the south, and I have seen labs run themselves almost to death in the warm weather.
I haven't seenso much that says that the GSP are so aggessive. The occasional comentin here, though most folks I have talked to say that theirs has been wonderful n the house and great hunters as well. I used to havea setter and she was a great dog. I have also hunted over GSP's and IMO opinion that is a tough statement to think that setters are better then GSP for a bird dog based on reading. I've talked to several people hat have had both and prefer the GSP. I can't base this on soley what i read (because I have found numerous articles online telling me that the GSP is a no aggresive wonderful dog in the house) but the experience of myself and others.And I have hunted over the GSP's and they far exceded most other dogs I have hunted over (labs, and Gordon Setters. Still a close call on the English Setters)If everything that I read said that they were not good with kids, or were aggersive, I wouldn't even consider it. But I have found more that says they are great family dogs. Now I am trying to get some info from people that have them, or have had both setters and GSP's for that last comparrison.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have read from another of your posts you were planing on getting a GSP. A friend of mine has one up at a bird farm and he likes it alot. He also has some teenage kids at home. They all get along fine. He has a Brittany there as wellwith no problems.

I do not go by everything I have read either, if a GPS fits your needs go for it. I also know if I went by everything I have read or listened to what everyone has told me I would not have been hunting with the Irish Setters either. As a good Irish is very easy to train, loyal, non agressive, and has been in the history books of upland hunting. Also noted to be able to hunt upland as well as waterfoul. The bottom line is you can get out of your dog what the breeders or trainers put into it, providing the dog has the capabilities. So IMO when getting any breed of hunting dog research is a must.. Good Luck to you on your GPS...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

GSPs are by far the most popular breed in the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc. (NAVHDA) - If that is the breed you are looking for contact the home office at NAVHDA.org. They have quite a bit of registry on many fine breeders to which I have judged many of their dogs.

I ahve yet to see one who growled at me as i checked teeth and all of that is what the chapters of NAVHDA in your area can help you as dog socialization is one thing all chapters stress.

The motto of NAVHDA is to help train you to train your own dog on both land and water before and after the shot - to conserve game.

JW
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am not trying to change your mind...go for dog you like no matter what i said i read,only info for you to think about....

last part about lab was a little humor as all know i like labs...

yes, labs do tire out quick in heat,for sure...

now, reading i do goes back about 6 years on lewellin setter and gsp..

setter also listens better than gsp,now dont jump on me. just what i read from people who have gsp /setter..

gsp is harder to train, only what i read..
gsp is better in home on hair....
both are great on birds..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.