Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

stupid snake!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Default RE: ******* snake!

I'm new to this site and just saw this. How's the dogs doing? Poor thing!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Cara sorry about your dogs! I hope they get well soon. I'm not sure where you might be able to buy snake proof vests for dogs at. I would just search for it and if you find anything that's great. Well good luck on gettin' those dogs well.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Spike

They are both doing very well thanks. Kodiak (the black one) just has a wound on her nose where the swelling burst, and it is healing great. I'd recommend the product I have been using on it to anyone. She is a maniac and kept knocking the scab off it, so I put EMT gel on and it has kept clean and sped up healing like you wouldn't believe. She is back working and driving me crazy!

Ladybird spent a week at the vet's, but luckily started healing by herself and didn't need surgery. She lost a bit of one of her lips, but she has plenty spare!

They are both going to snake proofing on 18th August.

We got the culprit too! My husband went to pick some tools up outside one morning last week, and felt something move under his foot. He looked down to see the diamond pattern, and leapt about 6ft. My father in law took care of the beast with a shovelwhile he was going to get the shotgun. It was about 5' long, and 12" around. He sniped a second from under my rabbit hutch two days before. Both were still too cold to move much or buzz. I'm hoping that will be the end of it.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the update. Glad they are improving. The EMT gel is a wonderful product. Keep it in my first aid kit and a tube in my vest.

Glad no one else got struck in the process of dispatching the culprit. Our 15 mo old goes to his first snake proofing this weekend, it's a necessary evil.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Spike

We got the third rattlesnake of the week yesterday. The dogs are driving me crazy, but nobody is spending long outside until they have been to snakeproofing.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're lucky they made it. I have beagles and a beagle will usually be dead w/in 30 min. from a rattler. Copperhead bites are more common in VA, as rattlers are in the mtns. and I'm a little east of there. For a copperhead, I give Penicillin or Dex, some benadryll, and take the collar off so the dog isn't aspxyiated (sp?).
Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Spike

Would you believe it, my new Bloodhound got bitten last night!! [:@] She had an appointment for Friday to get the rattlesnake vaccine, and had been snake-proofed. The method was different to the one used on my other dogs though, and at the time I didn't have much faith in it especially with a hound. I just don't know what more I can do, I planned on taking her to the snake-proofing seminar that the others went to in August but the snakes beat me to it yet again. She had to spend the night at the vet's and i'm waiting for them to open to see how she is. To top it off it's my birthday [:@]
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM

sorry to hear that.
Hope your dog pulls through.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

let us know how your new baby is doing......sorry it happened again and especially on your birthday.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM

HMM!!!Snake vs.Mossberg 12ga.

Its a tough decision, please place bets wisely!!

Quick Reply: stupid snake!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.