Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 my dog bit my daughter... >

my dog bit my daughter...

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

my dog bit my daughter...

Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: my dog bit my daughter...

You have received alot of information on this thread. Most of it good....

At 10 weeks of age, the pup was doing exactly what it would do if it was still with the rest of the litter. It was normal behavior. What would have happened in the "pack" is that the other pup would have either backed off or would have bit the other pup back. Obviously your little daughter is too young to exert any dominance (alpha) behavior. So from now on, the daughter must be kept away from the pup when it has a food object. Adult humans need to mess with the pup when it has a food object, and if the pup is aggressive/protective at that time, the human adult should make the proper correction.
It wasn't the 10 week old pup's fault. It was just being a 10 week old pup. It needs to "learn it's place", but a one year old human isn't capable of doing so.
You need to establish dominance with the dog. You don't need to be physical. While all three of our dogs I roll them over and let my son stand over them while they are on their back. A dog on it's back is the most submissive stance for a dog. With your daughter standing over it the dog realizes that she is more dominant than her. Just my 2 cents.
Basically, I bit him back. I would grab him by the scruff of the neck and growl at him and even shake some. I had to be a little rough. I also would spray a mixture of 3 parts water to one part vinegar at his nose (not his eyes). Now he's one of the nicest dogs I know. A great dog and quite trustworthy. Bite your dog back now and you won't have to later.
I agree with the above quotes for the most part... I have had Wolves, Wolf/hybrids for years and now have an Argentine Dogo. I have actually never had a problem with any of my animals, all are trained to hand signals and have been/are exceptional animals. Sadly in the past 30 yrs some have been lost to old age.
I agree that there is no need to be physical with the exception of the very first instance of a growl, or nip/bite when a pup. Tried and true method for me has been rather than just roll them over to present their belly,,, You need to grip their neck(under their throat) as if it was their mom biting them and shake...(hard enough for them to know it!! and growl too, as if their mom was giving them the bite ( pinching hard enough on their neck skin that they know it....not to damage them for life) Then without saying anything immediately put them on their back belly up, the most submissive posture they can have. Have your daughter stand over them if you want but usually once you establish the "Alpha" in the group (which should be you) all should progress from there hopefully. My advise other than what has been said would be teach with love, dicipline, and use tonal inflection not physical punishment for training. The only thing I have ever had to use was the above method to reinforce dominance and that I was the Alpha.

I have had very large dogs for years and all have been well trained, wonderful companions and family members. However, I did make my mother a promise when I got my first wolf/hybrid 30 yrs ago that he would be well trained. He was.....and all have been since. Where I draw the bottom line is that once they are past their puppy hood and trained, if there is a bite due to agression of any type, to either me, or my son. The animal will be dog gone. That may sound harsh but....if they show that type of agression and are past the pup stage...it is a red flag and a sign of future problems. JMHO. Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. I should also have stated that I have all of my animals spayed or neutered(sp) as soon as they were old enough to avoid their natural dominance behavior such as Testosterone in males( It makes a huge difference). But then I had no plan on breeding. No offence to any one.... Again, Good Luck!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

you are right about biting beyond puppyhood..
i am going thru it right now..
its better but i cant leave dog around any strangers or kids he does not know..

you have to kennel dog or leash around people so you can control him..

someone said you just dont know when they will snap, he is right, you dont know what causes it..

dog trainer on tv says we are putting to many dogs to sleep than we need to, he said it takes time to correct a biting dog..

i agree, mine is getting better but you cant trust him...
that i have to live with until he dies..

he is great dog to me and family but i never will let him loose or near strangers he does not know..
he will lick face of person he knows....
Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Sproulman,

You are exactly right!! I know the love most of us have for our dogs but... regardless of how well trained they may be and/or become, as much as we want too trust them, they can never be trusted 100%.
Heck, I would bet money on mine not hurting anyone but...it would be a bad bet. When it comes to my son and I...I pity anyone that would try to harm either of us. Any dog regardless of size can have a melt down. That is why we are responsible owners and do whatever needs done to train and socialize our dogs.

For me personally my dogs are not that socialized except to close friends/family and their dogs....and then there are the "neighborhood" dogs that just roam. Argggghhhh...even so both of my huge animals will allow those dogs to drink from their water buckets and will play with them. Food is another story and they do that on a case per case basis. LMBO!!!

Here is a pic of Shaman, we still need to get a good pic of our Dogo. When we do I will post that one.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Not to be cruel to your dog, but our local Bow shop owner's daughter was bit on the scalp by a friend's dog and she required like 30 stitches. If I had been the owner, I would have put my own dog down for that. Don't let it come to either scenario.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bmt_hunter

Not to be cruel to your dog, but our local Bow shop owner's daughter was bit on the scalp by a friend's dog and she required like 30 stitches. If I had been the owner, I would have put my own dog down for that. Don't let it come to either scenario.
its sad that dog will bite..
even tho dog bit that shops owners daughter, if i thought the dog could get better, i would not put him away.

you have to look at it and decide, do i have time to work with the dog or can i stand putting dog in kennel..

if you cant do none of above, i would put dog down.....

i am going thru it and it is getting a lot better, my dog is 4 years old BUT i can never trust him again near CERTAIN people unless i have control of him..
Old 09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

A friend's lab bit their 2 year old daughter in the face, requiring stitches, and they wrote it off as a one time thing.

6 months later it happened again.....more stitches in the face.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FireDiver

A friend's lab bit their 2 year old daughter in the face, requiring stitches, and they wrote it off as a one time thing.

6 months later it happened again.....more stitches in the face.
it usually happens again..
my lab tonight when i went to fill his water bowl growled bigtime at me..

for last 2 years i could take that dish from him, tonight he got mean..

why? because i was argueing with my family and he took it that i was yelling at him..

labs seem to be very sensitive if you have alpha dog..

yes, i would never let dog around daughter anymore......
Old 09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
jwy

Just reading everyones advice,Please get control of it now while she is a puppy. I recently had the privalage of a 70lbs lab on my arm(not pleasant).He is a friends dog,2yrs old, never handled,lease broke or anything else i can tell.He wanted me to see if i could do anything with him.When i first put the lease on he turned and grabbed my arm, he hadnever showed agrression before this (ever).We ended up with him on his back with my left hand around his throat with me sitting on him.When he calmed down I let him up.We've never had a problem with him since he just didn't know that it wasn't allowed.There are breeds of dogs that i would never let a child around,Most hunting dogs are OK.They just need to learn and are usually willing to do so.Its alot easier when they are a pup.Keep that baby safe at all cost even if it means getting rid of the pup.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jwy

Just reading everyones advice,Please get control of it now while she is a puppy. I recently had the privalage of a 70lbs lab on my arm(not pleasant).He is a friends dog,2yrs old, never handled,lease broke or anything else i can tell.He wanted me to see if i could do anything with him.When i first put the lease on he turned and grabbed my arm, he hadnever showed agrression before this (ever).We ended up with him on his back with my left hand around his throat with me sitting on him.When he calmed down I let him up.We've never had a problem with him since he just didn't know that it wasn't allowed.There are breeds of dogs that i would never let a child around,Most hunting dogs are OK.They just need to learn and are usually willing to do so.Its alot easier when they are a pup.Keep that baby safe at all cost even if it means getting rid of the pup.
my lab is a lot better at 4 yrs old ,BUT i watch him like hawk.you can never take for granted that he will not bite again, so you keep people from doing what sets him off.

mine does not like his mouth touched,he does not attack ,he gaurds home but not out in public he is different dog..

he is territorial aggressive and fear aggression..

i have to say he is a lot better but it took me over 3 years to get him at least to point he is not biting when you put your hand down...

but i would never let him alone with kid..
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 AM

not the pups fault just being a pup.(and someone said that good dogs can be found everyday),,theres very few people who get the chance to own a truely good dog there few and far between.

Quick Reply: my dog bit my daughter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.