Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

hunting dog name

Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Default hunting dog name

hi, my name is jackie and i have an eight week old chocolate lab. my husband named her roxy but we need an akc name for her and i can't think of anything. please help me with a full name for my pup!!

thankyou!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting dog name

When naming a dog I try to put in part of the name of the country they are originally from. It can be something that the country is noted for.

Also welcome to the forums..
Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 PM

As Noted above most pedigree names either have a geopgraphic location or a kennel name in them.
We have a camp in a little place called Dry Ridge, WV. Thus ourdog named Straits Dryridge Cinch.

One of the best Cur Breeders in the US uses his name and the name of his old proprietary dog Thunder.....
Franklins Thunder (______) add the name.

Of course there are Mountain State Kennels nearby and they use indian name such as Mt State Apache, Mt State Geronimo, etc.

For instance yours could be (mytown) Jackies Roxy or Jackies (mytown) Roxy. You can use state, town, road, other names of people or placesthat are important to you, such as Dry Ridge is to us. We just shorted it by taking out the space ie: Dryridge, which by the way as you can see is my screenname.

Hope this helps,

Dave (dryridge) in WV
Old 06-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I kope either of us has helped you out some.. One of my Irish is named Roxie and my wife and I picked Heather as a shrub from Ireland and Willow another item from Ireland. Thus her name became Roxie Heather Willow, Roxie for short, my other one looks like rust when the sun hit him right.. Thus the name Rusty came about and clover being from Ireland as well, he became Rusty Clover, Rusty for short... As mentioned above street names or anyother thing you feel is important is good to use.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 PM

thankyou all for helping me out with nameing my dog. This is the hardest thing i have done so far! nameing my daughter was easier! haha anyway, thankyou for all of your input, im still trying to figure out how to name her still though. everything i have tried doesnt sound right. the names of our town, her fathers kennel name, lots of stuff but no luck yet. ill keep thinking though.

thankyou!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Give us a little info to work with. Dam and Sire's full pedigree names, a river nearby, favorite card game, favorite place to visit or eat, favorite football/baseball/basketball team... that kind of thing.

Roxie's Ace of Spades or a diversion of that.

My dog is Green Bay Charlie (he came already named and I am a Bears fan so it is kind of hard to swollow) I had named my other beagles Wildwood Mr. Blue (aka Blue), Wildwood Blue Bonnet (aka Bonnie). The blue came from them being bluetick beagles. I incorporated that into their names because it was that way throughout most of their pedigrees. Wildwood was the name of the street I lived on at the time.

Emery
Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dogs call name is Dutch.

I got that from Dutch Island, GA where he was whelped and where the breeders have lived their whole lives.

When he was a puppy, I somehow came up with the nickname "Monster" for him.

So, his AKC name is Dutch Island Monster.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM

well i have blue leopard catahoula thats 3 years old and his regeistard name is raynards pete. so we jus call him pete for short
Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Like others I took part of her name from my breeder/trainer and my last name. Dakota Labs my last name Sweet so, we went with Dakota's Sweet Kelsey.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 AM

well the dam's name is dakota leah and the sire's name is shining stars top gun. my absolute favorite football team is th edallas cowboys but my husband like the jets. as for card games my fav is texas hold 'em. i dont know of any lakes around here but me and my husband grew up next to each other and the lake we used to go to all the time was called Harry Wright Lake. Im not creative so i have no idea how to put those together to fit well with Roxie

Quick Reply: hunting dog name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.