Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

coon hounds

Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coon hounds

Obedience will make a fair "grade dog" as they are called....seem like he is much more. A good handling dog is a joy to take out, even on a bad night. If you have never hunted with dogs, especially long ranging dogs like hounds...then you don't have a clue how frustrating it is to spend half the night hunting coons and the other half hunting your dog, or trying to catch and load him. Our fine Walker "Cinch" handles without a lead strap. he will hunt for you, heel for you, and go on to the truck and be waiting in his box if he is told to do so. I wish I could take the credit, but I got him already trained. Someone did a LOT of work with this dog, and it is sure paying off for me
I'll second that. It seems that most houndsmen don't socialize nor do any obedience training what so ever. It is very irritating to me to be around dogs that don't come when they are called and don't listen. Spend some time with a puppy and this stuff is easy to do and will make your dog much more enjoyable. My brother and I can both call our dogs off of a track if we want to go home or if they are heading where they aren't supposed to be. Very handy.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM

I would not wet downthe coon if you are going to use caged game. First off, that is just a plain sad thing to do to the animal in my opinion (and I am no anti), and second, the dog doesn't need it to be wet. If it is a coondog in the making, it will sure-enough smell the coon whether he's wet or not. I wouldn't help the dog in that way. I also would not shoot it out mad over a pup. A coon can do a number on even a tough grown hound. I'd let the dog get a dead one shot out first. Eventually you will shoot one out alive and the dog will figure it out (or not). Not trying to offend anyone but this is just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

i compitition hunt alot with coon hounds and i hunt only walkers(mostly) and some blue-ticks walkers just seem to be much faster on track and harder tree dogs
click here and you can see some of my hound pictures and short videos
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/coonsmen/
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

my opion is for a tree dog walker now im a blue guy and actualy have a coonhunt tonight ukc but anyways Walkers are breed now to tree theres good and bad in this some wlakers will slick tree all day some wont its training what it comes down to walkers just seem to start earlier but then again my new blue pup is 5months and tree's pritty good but its all trainign if you ask me but be carful you dont want a slick treer
Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

go with the bluetick or a walker
Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

walker thats what i hunt with
Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

walk with wick is a good purchase and on coondawgs.com under the training forum has good information. in my opinion i like walkers have yet to run a deer but opposum and skunks a different story. break them the first time they run trash then 5 months old might be too young. take a cage coon water it down and let the pup out. if you know someone witha already trained dog go hunting with him. but a older dog does help out alot especially a slow one. if you do know someone with a trained dog bring that dog over and maybe your pup will get fired up. some dogs never get fired up on cage coons and work out treeing like a pro. but then let it go (coon) and hold on to the dogs until its out of sight and let the pup go first and see how it does. if it dont do nothing dont sweat it wait a month or two and try it again. dogs take patience i got one right now 18 months old and wont leave your side. thinking thats because some people told me to train obiedience and take walks in the woods when its a pup. wont do that again. not all dogs turn out we are at 6 pups and none turned out already and 2 more that are catching what to do. but blueticks another popular breed its tough sometimes to call them from strike to tree and redbones if you got a good one its worth alot of money and black and tans didnt hear much about them because no one really hunts them in my area. but good luck