Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Bird Dog or Hog Dog?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Bird Dog or Hog Dog?

Quail Hunting sometimes offers different game. There are so many rabbits were i hunt that they can drive young dogs crazy. the deer don't mind you shooting all around them either. Many times over the years we have shot at a covey of birds and flushed deer outtoo.At first my bird dogs were scared of hogs. they would go into some cover and run back out trying to get on the horse or 4-wheeler with me.
Untill the day that Skeet got a hold on a football sized pig.She aleays would go back to that spot and check for more. She ended up killing 5 small hogs this year.
She is such a dosile dog, never fights with another dog and great with people and kids. I have never seen the hair stand up her back before the pigs. She goes after them likethey are her sworn enemy.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bird Dog or Hog Dog?

Very cool. How does she kill them?
Crunch or crunch and shake?

I'll bet those tender young piglets are tasty.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 AM

The first one she got was more play, than killing. She chased it and grabbed it by the back legs and slung it. bitting it around the back of the neck as if she was going to bring it to me. Then another dog joined in and a tug-of-war started. It got really agressive at this point with both dogs ripping it into pieces. The next time she went for the throat. after it was dead she just stood on top of it and wagged her tail. She was so proud of her little trophy. The last couple of times the little pigs had gotten bigger and offered more of a challenge. She could only hold them down by the neck. I would have to get her off and then finish the job with bird shot.

We smoked one that was not hurt to bad. Cooking it with some pecan and hickory wood. It was tender and tasty.
I am worried about this season. If she gets a hold of one that is bigger, they can do some serious damange. Not to mention what will happen to me trying to get a big boar off of her.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bigguns can certainly be deadly --- even to an experienced hog dog.
Same with a protective sow with baby piggies.
I guess you'll have to start carrying a rifle or big sidearm.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just read this post and I sure wouldn't want my dog going after a pig big or small.. rabbits or anything else, except gamebirds. I am sure if I was in a field trial somewhere that anything but birds would mess me up as well. Good Luck with your dogs and those hogs Dale..
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM

If it does catch a big one, just grab the back leg and wheelbarrow it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you your got yourself whathog hunters around Florida call 'catch dogs'. I have a deer dog that will trail and catch a wounded deer this way. Very calm dog, unless the deer trys toget up and run (although it doesn't happened much). The dog will run the deer down andgrab it by the deer's neck!

i try not to let this happen now, as a buck'santlerswill tear apart a dog.