HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Moose in the Pond -- Again (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/192699-moose-pond-again.html)

Doc E 05-28-2007 07:39 PM

Moose in the Pond -- Again

One of the high mountain ponds that we ocassionally train at will frequently have some Moose. This afternoon was no exception. Casey boy and I went up to do some "exercise training", and there he was, the young bull. Last year he was barely starting to get horns, but it looks like this year he will have a half-decent rack. I think he's 3 years old now.
The first pic is of him glaring at us as he was browsing -- The second pic is after he had moved farther out in the pond -- Casey is on the left of the pic, going out for a water mark. The Moose and Casey hardly paid any attention to each other.

Doc E 05-28-2007 07:43 PM

RE: Moose in the Pond -- Again

The Moose

Doc E 05-28-2007 07:45 PM

Casey & the Moose

Gunslingergirl 05-29-2007 11:17 AM

Cool pictures. I'm surprised the dog and the moose didn't pay more attention to each other.

GSG

Doc E 05-29-2007 11:34 AM

They've kinda gotten used to each other.......Just as long as they don't encroach too close to each other.
Mainly only Cows with Calves get cranky -- regardless of distance. Sometimes young Bulls will put on a charge, but it's usually a bluff -- Cows with calves don't bluff.

Phil from Maine 05-29-2007 08:03 PM

Cool pics Doc!, but becarefull.

Mainly only Cows with Calves get cranky
That is not that way here, so becarefull with those!! Here moose have sometimes attacked people not just dogs or other items. One of those people was a gamewarden and it was a young bull. It was in the summer months and not in rut either. Moose can be unpredictable like other wildlife can be, that is why they are wild. Moose have very little to fear here as they are they biggest animal we have in the wild. One time about a year ago a camper at his camp was trample by one, luckily some one came along and scared it off. The camper survived, and now knows enough to keep a bigger distance from them.

Doc E 05-30-2007 07:23 AM

Phil,
Very true -- they can all be evil tempered. It's just that a cow with a calf is always predictable -- they are pizzed off all the time.
A training buddy and I were charged by a young bull maybe three years ago. We could see that it was going to happen, so we got ourselves and our dogs in the rigs. He put on quite a "display" -- after he figured he had scared us enough, he just slowly rambled up a mountain.