Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 All around hunting dog breed? >

All around hunting dog breed?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

All around hunting dog breed?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default All around hunting dog breed?

Not trying to start any breed wars here but I'm thinking about getting a hunting dog and want to get one that can do several things.

Probably the #1 priority would be a quail hunting dog. I would think some type of pointer would be good for this.

The #2 priority would be a retriver to find downed dove, quail, pheasant, etc.

The #3 priority would be to hunt raccoons occasionally.

I probably won't be using it to do any waterfowl hunting.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Default RE: All around hunting dog breed?

The Germans have a number of breeds which would suit your needs. I hunt with one, the Deutsches Jagdterrier. There are pudelpointers Deutsches Drahthaars Kurzhaars, Langhaars, Weimaraners, Wachtelhunds, large and small Munsterlanders. Each of these breeds can do a credible job fulfilling your needs. The Jagdterrier and Wachtelhunds flush but can hunt quail quite well (or do I have to put back what I shot over spaniels, retrievers and terriers). The question is are you willing to put in the time necessary to have this kind of versatility? You have to train for it. It doesn't come without a price. Teaching a proper carry of edible game is paramount. One can only do this if one takes time and has the dog ratrieve fur and feather. It's possible but what are you prepared to do?

Doc George
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 PM

Any of the Versatile/ Continental breeds would work. Coon hunting is a style of its own (my opinion). Although I have some GWPs that Coon hunt, it is not the traditional baying when tracking or treeing. They hunt up a Coon it is to kill it and I have to be careful as they will fight with them. I will be bird hunting and next thing I know I have a dog ready to fight with a Coon. When I want the baying for tracking and treeing I use a hound that bays. My Wires will reetieve Muskrats, Coon, Fox,Pheasant, quail, Ducks and Geese (basically anything I shoot).
Just need to look at what you want and go from there.
GOOD LUCK
WYOWIRES
Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 PM

If your Number 1 Priority is Quail Then Get a Pointer or Setter.
Quail Hunting in Texas is normally (untill last year) all wild birds.
Continental breeds do not and will not have the go you need to find the birds. A Flushing Dog will not work either. Besides if you quail hunt with anything else besides a pointer or setter in Texas, People will Laugh at you.
Coon Hunting is a growing sport and there are allot of coon hounds around. It would be real easy to go with a group that owns them. If you own land I bet you already have people beating your door down to hunt.
Another Point to make
The Tough Hunting in Texas requires several dogs to make it worth while.
You just can not simple go out and hunt the same dog day after day.
Texas hunting operations typical buy new dogs every 2-3 seasons. After the catus and snakes they seem to lose there drive. I would caution you agaist buying a 4-5 year old dog from a Texas outfitter.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: daleh

Continental breeds do not and will not have the go you need to find the birds.
I disagree with htis comment totally. A Continental/Versatile breed is designed to hunt all day. My German Wirehaired Pointers go all day from Pheasant to Chukars (alot harder to hunt then Quail) to any other thing I wish to hunt. A dog learns to pace themselves or they will be finding brush to hide under to shade up. Most of your Continental Breeds are pointers (I am assuming you were refering to the EP). One of my best puppy buyers is in Texas and mostly hunts quail (he has a bird farm).
With any breed, if it is not conditioned properly it will not last in the feild. Pointer, setter or flusher.
WYOWIRES
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM

One of my best puppy buyers is in Texas and mostly hunts quail (he has a bird farm).
I love my GSPs on a shooting preserve. They do not have enough go to wild bird (Quail) hunt in the the south. Texas is allot different from most parts of the country
Pheasnts hunting is alot different. even labs can work for that.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 AM

Daleh,
I've shot a limit of scaled quail over a flushing dog. I've shot gambel's quail also. I have even commited the most grievous of sins and shot Mearn's quail over a lab. I understand you are saying the country is so big in Texas but you haven't hunted chukar. The country isbiggeronly it'svertical. You are just throwing out regional prejudices. Wild quail means a dog that can go all day and find birds. It's not much different than chukars only easier.

Doc George
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

WYOWIRES

I disagree with htis comment totally. A Continental/Versatile breed is designed to hunt all day. My German Wirehaired Pointers go all day from Pheasant to Chukars (alot harder to hunt then Quail) to any other thing I wish to hunt. A dog learns to pace themselves or they will be finding brush to hide under to shade up.
I hope you are not saying that setters can not go all day?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

The point Daleh makes concerning flush is somewhat valid I would argue with views on german dogs.

If I had a choice between a pointer and flusher for hunting quail or chukar, I would definitely choose the pointer.I would want some range in rocky terrain where the birds can see you comming. Here in Washington we have two different climates. The west is the wet and east is dry. Eastern Washington isdesert climate and people there usually have pointing dogs. The west, people generally have labs for both pheasants and waterfowl.

The ratio of german dogs to english pointers/setters is probably around 75% german to 25% english or so it seems in eastern washington. It doesn't get as hot as Texas but temps there routinely reaches 110 - 115 consistanly, no trees for miles, very rocky rattle snake country.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't get as hot as Texas but temps there routinely reaches 110 - 115 consistanly, no trees for miles, very rocky rattle snake country.

I probaly should have considered this into the equation, as up here it wouldn't normally be that hot and we do not have those snakes to speak of.

Quick Reply: All around hunting dog breed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.