Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab acl knee surgery

Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 PM

Default lab acl knee surgery

has any one had a dog go thru ACL. knee surg??? my 4 year old female black has problem w/ at first we thought hips and have narrowed it down to a torn acl in her back knee this has bothered for at least 1 year and only bother her when she plays hard or after a long day running looking for moose sheds they want to operate right off but i think i should get anthor opion any thoughts would help thanx
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: lab acl knee surgery

I have seen several Labs with a torn ACL (a national field champ and several field champions) I would have the surgery done quickly it is something that is repairable if done before more harm is done. DO IT
Redclub
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM

you usually hear about acl probs about every two months or so, the most common prob that I have heard that happens after the surg. is it usually rehappens at some time, now all dogs are different but does seem to re occur after bieng fixed. Hopefully not in this situation, but might. Thanks Jonesy
Old 06-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

you usually hear about acl probs about every two months or so, the most common prob that I have heard that happens after the surg. is it usually rehappens at some time, now all dogs are different but does seem to re occur after bieng fixed. Hopefully not in this situation, but might. Thanks Jonesy
WHAT CAUSES THIS INJURY?my lab jumps 4 ft over logs in woods, runs in dark at home etc..
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM

I have a 7 year old lab. Great hunter and excellent friend. She just hurt her knee this last week and the vet recommends a surgery called TPLO. Has anyone heard of it and I guess I'm looking for some advice. Quite spendy operation and I have considered putting her down. Please lend me some advice. Cost of surgery around 2300 dollars
Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: enginegrunt

I have a 7 year old lab. Great hunter and excellent friend. She just hurt her knee this last week and the vet recommends a surgery called TPLO. Has anyone heard of it and I guess I'm looking for some advice. Quite spendy operation and I have considered putting her down. Please lend me some advice. Cost of surgery around 2300 dollars
dogs to most of us become a member of family..just like kid...
go to another vet for second opinion..
i know, it cost but have your vet send x-rays you have to other vet, this will save you money..

if both agree, get price from that vet also and have it done..

i hope it never happens to my dog,he bro off his dew claw thumb yesterday and i had a h of time with him..

Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get an opinion from a Veterinary Orthopedist --- Most cities will have them, or any Vet College will.

This problem (actually called a CCL in dogs (ACL in humans) can have many causes (or the cause may remain unknown). Jumping over things (4' logs) isn't the problem. The problem is jumping down from heights over 3'. Dogs that have been spayed/neutered at a young are are predisposed to CCL rupture. Following CCL surgery (either type) the odds are over 20% that the other knee will blow within two years. One of the best ways to help prevent this is to have your dog on a quality Glucosamine supplement. Itis extemely important to precisely follow the rehabilitation program that will be given to you by the surgeon.