HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   dog just bit my arm (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/190767-dog-just-bit-my-arm.html)

knifeboy99 05-07-2007 01:30 PM

dog just bit my arm

last time we was out shooting just me and my dog he just came up and bit my dang arm. course i snacked him down like you dont know. my dog is well behaved but dang that bite sure hurt hes looking at me all odd like now

what do u guys think i should do?

oh and how i got him was he walked up out of the woods just like that one day and i took him home and fed him. hes my best bud but now hes almost spitting at me when i see the dang thing

KSbowman 05-07-2007 03:25 PM

RE: dog just bit my arm

That is pretty weird? Have you looked into any info. on "rage syndrome"? A dog will act out and get very angry for several seconds and then right afterwards won't really know what happened.

BlueRidgeRetrievers 05-18-2007 06:57 PM

How long have you had him?

sproulman 06-04-2007 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: knifeboy99

last time we was out shooting just me and my dog he just came up and bit my dang arm. course i snacked him down like you dont know. my dog is well behaved but dang that bite sure hurt hes looking at me all odd like now

what do u guys think i should do?

oh and how i got him was he walked up out of the woods just like that one day and i took him home and fed him. hes my best bud but now hes almost spitting at me when i see the dang thing
he is excited..my lab will dive for my face in truck, you got to be quick or teeth may get me ..you have dog that is very excited to go hunting, shooting, fishing..

in one way its good thing but other is usually thats dog that will bite people and you have to watch that dog closely ALL time around people..

you should see my lab in basement when i take my 12 ga. beretta out of gun cabinet,he almost jumps over my head..

dlloyd 06-05-2007 10:10 AM

I don't care what kind of dog you have or how excited they are, they should never bite you. I think the dog has more problems than just being excited. I think he is either not exercised enough or he had issues with his previous owners (physically abused or something). I would either take him to a vet or a trainer!

Doc E 06-05-2007 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: dlloyd

I don't care what kind of dog you have or how excited they are, they should never bite you.
Correct. A dog should never ever bite you.

2006HighSierra 06-05-2007 03:33 PM

i agree bigtime. if a dog one of my dogs ever growls at me they will wish they hadn't and be disciplined. should a dog of mine ever bite me, a Ruger will be biting it back. I have no excuse to hand out fora dog biting me and no use for one. Luckily every lab i've had is a sweetheart though.

sproulman 06-05-2007 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: dlloyd

I don't care what kind of dog you have or how excited they are, they should never bite you. I think the dog has more problems than just being excited. I think he is either not exercised enough or he had issues with his previous owners (physically abused or something). I would either take him to a vet or a trainer!
biting is problem, i have one..forget about trying to correct it,you can kennel dog or do as i have, watch him every minute,use collar and leash..

its a lot of work but i will not put my dog down..i believe my dog got it from his mother..

dogs i see that do this were never abused,they were born with it..

i have friend that was dog warden, he had dog that bit..he took dog to his basement and they went at it..warden ended up at hospital and dog now is good dog..

he toldme this story..

so it comes to this, if you cant watch your dog or dont believe in kennels etc. then dogshould go..

if you can watch dog and all work with it,he may get better..

mine is getting better but still is problem that i have to live with and is a lot of work..i just cant kill dog for something hegot for no reason in life..

but i do feel that all dogs i saw that bite,all were born with it,not abused..some do get better, mine is but he can never be trusted ,i make sure he is not given chance..

redneck buck hunter 06-11-2007 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

i agree bigtime. if a dog one of my dogs ever growls at me they will wish they hadn't and be disciplined. should a dog of mine ever bite me, a Ruger will be biting it back. I have no excuse to hand out fora dog biting me and no use for one. Luckily every lab i've had is a sweetheart though.
Same here. If it dog ever bites me he better hope it kills me if not hes gone be dead.

SWOSUMike 06-12-2007 01:11 AM

I hate the thought, but a dog that is genetically aggressive is a bigger problem in my opinion than one that was poorly socialized. The reason is they can snap at any time. It's kind of like a pointing breed locating and pointing a bird. It comes natural for them, and a dog bred to point birds will do it, maybe even if it never was taught and only kept as a pet.

A dog that does something inherently can't necessarily be stopped 100%. You hear about certain aggressivebreeds that "are the nicest dogs" most of the time, then suddenly they turn and hurt someone. The owner can be the best owner ever--it doesn't matter. Genetics can take over at some point regardless of environment.

I have decided that there are too many good dogs out there that have everything going for them to spend my time with one that doesn't suit me. But I wish you luck with your dog. Maybe you can suppress it enough if it is genetics, or maybe you can address any other issue it might be and end up with a dog that is just fine and a pleasure to have around.

But you might also be in a real fix if your dog does hurt someone and you knewall along that it was likely. All dog owners assume some risk to that degree, butthe owner ofa dog who is knowingly aggressivewould feel awful if the dog got lose and hurt someone.But it sounds like you are willing to put in the work. That'sprobably the best thing!-MIKE