HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   STRANGE!#$% Bird Dog!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/190296-strange-bird-dog.html)

tigerw10 05-02-2007 12:09 PM

STRANGE!#$% Bird Dog!!

I just wanted to share this story with you all. I'm not a big bird hunter, but I do enjoy it. Never have had a bird dog, just walk through the field/woods myself. My girlfriend and I recently took in a stray dog that was walking up and down our road for about a month. He was real real skiddish at first, but now is part of the family. I took him out for a walk one day and he put up a bunch of birds for me. One day I took him hunting and he did fantastic! He will see a bird, wait for me to walk up to him, then pounce to flush the bird up. The really strange thing about this is he is a 8month old. German Shepard/Husky/Rotwieller mix. Have you ever heard of a bird dog of that breed?! Needless to say hes my lifelong huntin' buddy now.:D

KSbowman 05-02-2007 08:18 PM

RE: STRANGE!#$% Bird Dog!!

Smart dog! I bet you are as glad as he is to have him in your family

TedH71 05-23-2007 01:40 AM

Could be he is a saddleback blackmouth cur or a catahoula..they can come in black/tan combos...

bobeyerite 05-23-2007 04:08 PM

There are a lot of dogs that just like to hunt. There might have been some hunting blood in the gene pool that is coming trough. As long as it obeys and does the job, count your blessings.

huntnma 05-26-2007 05:48 AM

thats awesome, you took this homeless dog in and he rewards ya by being a hunting buddy....

sproulman 06-04-2007 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: tigerw10

I just wanted to share this story with you all. I'm not a big bird hunter, but I do enjoy it. Never have had a bird dog, just walk through the field/woods myself. My girlfriend and I recently took in a stray dog that was walking up and down our road for about a month. He was real real skiddish at first, but now is part of the family. I took him out for a walk one day and he put up a bunch of birds for me. One day I took him hunting and he did fantastic! He will see a bird, wait for me to walk up to him, then pounce to flush the bird up. The really strange thing about this is he is a 8month old. German Shepard/Husky/Rotwieller mix. Have you ever heard of a bird dog of that breed?! Needless to say hes my lifelong huntin' buddy now.:D
many mix breed dogs are great hunters and good on health issues also..i saw mix beagle/ terrier out hunt very expensive bird dogs 40 years ago and owners were not to happy..

Marlinmadness 06-24-2007 01:41 PM

I had a bluetick/walker hound. Was the best dog i ever had. Got shot by neighbor over dispute. neighbor no longer lives their