Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Microchip ID

Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Microchip ID

I was just wondering how many of you have microchiped or plan on microchiping your dogs? This past weekend I had my english springer spaniel pup, Madi, chiped. I think it is a great idea if you really cherish your companion. I feal a lot safer knowing she has that in her in case she gets lost or stolen. I know that it is not 100% for getting your dog back but it would sure increase the odds.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Default RE: Microchip ID

Here is some advice,

I bought a Springer Spaniel a few years ago and I spent the money to have a chip installed.

A few months later the dog was stolen from my yard.

I called the vet that did the operation and his reply to me was that he does not scan a dog unless he knows that there is a chip inside it.

So what good does it do to have a chip installed inside your pet if the vet is not willing to turn in the person that stole it in the first place.

There is a big sign outside his office that says that all of his pets are protected by them chips.

It made me so mad that I almost wanted to kill his horses just to make him feel the grief that he made me feel when he told me that he was not willing to turn in someone with a stolen dog and was not willing to look for it. Even though he was the person that strongly suggested just a few months before to have the chip installed.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

I think microchipping is so important that I chip allmy puppies before they go to their new homes; it's included in the cost of the puppy. It's just not all that expensive to do.

And shame on that vet that doesn't scan for chips when a dog is brought in!! If I ever thought my vet had that attitude, she would never see me again. And that would beafter I slapped her upside the head!! I just wonder if the vet was too cheap to buy the scanner; heck, if I can afford a scanner, so can the vet. Vets should be scanning any new animal that comes in their office.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bruce is 110% correct.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Why isn't it common practice for breeders to use the microchip instead of the tattoo on the underside?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in the States, most of the top breeders chip all of their pups.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Right onB.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 PM

The Vet's name was Dr. Wise and his location is just outside of Luthersburgh PA.

I have not gone back since he told me that, and that was 7 years ago.

He has the scanner - just is more interested in making money than actually doing his job.

The man is so cruel that I saw him give my dog 6 shots in less than 1 minute.

That would make evenHulk Hogan cry.

The thing that really got me was that I spent about $500 that year at his office getting my dogs all their shots and medicines.

To a person that was ran over by a log truck while at work, and living on $220 a week, $500 is a lot of money.

I had not spend $500 on my own health concerns in the past 10 years before that so my dogs were living better than I was.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Chipping your dog is ONLY beneficial if the professionals (vets, animal shelters/pounds, animal control, humane society) in your area are using the scanners. If they aren't, then chipping is a waste of money (no matter who does it). Remember, not everyone has the scanners. They do cost money after all.

If someone is considering having their dog microchipped, I would first check your local area professionals and see if they actually have the scanners. If they do, what is their protocol for using them.

If it isn't what you like, then don't have it done.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 PM

If there is a vet in this day and age who does not have a scanner then they probably need to update the way they do things. If they care that much about animals to be a vet then they will take the initiative to do so. I have a very good vet who does have a scanner and will watch for dogs if he knows one is stolen. And you can get tags to put on your dog in case he/she gets lost so whom ever finds the dog can call a # and find who the dog belongs to. Granted if they are a good semaritan. I do not regret having her chipped.

Quick Reply: Microchip ID

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.