Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When do you say goodby?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Default RE: When do you say goodby?

As a kid I was the proud owner of Shortie, a great beagle mix that I loved to death. I got her when I was only 4, and we grew up together. By the time she was 12, she'd developed cancer. I kept her going as long as I could, feeding her canned food, then pureed food by hand for weeks. It got to the point where she couldn't walk well, and I'd just sit with her after school for hours. One day at school I was thinking about how bad she was getting and had decided that the next day I'd take her to the vet. She was suffering, and I was putting her through it. I didn't get the chance to take her though. She passed alone, in her kennel, while I was at school. I felt, and still feel, awful for it. I feel as if I let her down. This was 6 years ago. Only you know what's best for your buddy, so the decision is yours. Just know that other people have been through it and are here to console you and offer kind words. And always remember the good times; I'm smiling thinking about Shortie right now. My heart goes out to you.
-- B
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man the whole thing really sucks. This is very similar to a german shepherd we had for 13 years. Jasmine; she was a wonderful dog, friend and family protector. Loyal, trustworthy and brave, but aren't they all, at least all the ones that bring you to where you are now.
It is only my opinion and I may be questioned on it, but my feelings are; keep the dog alive only if it isn't in pain, it is still happy, and you are not bothered by the level in which you're inconvenienced. I think a dog knows when it has become a burden to you and that is when he will loose his dignity.
We kept our dog alive probably longer than we should have. She too had lumps and probably wouldn't make it through the surgery, so we decided that we'd watch her and see what happened. She was taking Tylenol for her hips, but other than that she was happy. Not like a puppy but you know. But one day I noticed that she was having some trouble going to the bathroom. She kept assuming the position and nothing would happen. Finally she passed some stool that was flat like a strip of bacon. I knew there was now another tumor and this was her last day. This was about 11pm so the vet was coming out in the morning. I got up in the middle of the night to check on her and was horrified at what I'd found. She'd been pushing so hard to have a bowel movement that she'd pushed her uterus out of her vaginal opening. I called the vet and he came right away. I felt so horrible for letting it come to this, she'd never done anything to deserve it, and she felt like she was in trouble for bleeding on the floor. It sucked!
Then my wife starts asking about what could be done to fix her?! I look at the vet like "dude, you don't have to sleep here, knock some sense into her", and he starts in with "well, we could take her to the animal hospital, open her up, so some surgery, remove anything abnormal we find." There's my wife nodding her head like a retard. I say "hey, I'm really sorry if I upset either of you, but I think it is important that we be honest with each other. The only reason to attempt to keep Jasmine alive is so that you don't feel guilty and I feel guilty for not letting her go earlier". I also told them that they were acting crazy, and that this was in fact the last day of her life. When the vet administered the shot, Jasmine licked his hand and died. I cried like a lot harder than I though I would.
My wife is the boss at my house 99% of the time, but there are some times where the man has to step up and take control. These are the times that suck, because they're always the bad times, but that is our job my brothers.
You're going to feel guilty no matter what you do. So try to remove emotion and make a logical decision and do what is right. Even if you find out you made the wrong decision later, you did what you thought was right at the time.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water, and warm Spring weather. Those old and frail animals are young again. Those who have been maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
But there is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring, and this one suddenly runs from the group. You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
- Author Unknown
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is a tough one. You just have to hope you'll know when the time is right and have the strength to do it. Keeping a loved animal in pain seems much more cruel than ending their suffering.
There is no doubt about it being a hard choice to decide. I have to agree with Gunslingergirl though. I went through this once with a l black lab that was 17 years old and it was hard. Watching her struggle to get up in order to go outside and do her stuff got to me. She was on meds to help her cope but seeing her suffer was really hard to watch. I had to concider how good she was for us and then decide what was best for her as winter months were moving in. It was a sad day to make that choice but it was made and she was laid to rest. When I think about it, it is still sad to have done it that way but, it was the best I could have done for her IMO. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

I completely agree with one of the previous quotes "This is a tough one. You just have to hope you'll know when the time is right and have the strength to do it. Keeping a loved animal in pain seems much more cruel than ending their suffering."

You need to put your own sufferings behind you and do what's best for your family friend. It's a very tough decision to make and you'll probably always ponder if/when the right decision was made.

I was faced with this situation 2 years ago. Came home Thanksgiving while I was in college and my GSP (the white/ticked one in my avatar) was looking very skinny. Noted it to my parents and when he lost even more weight they took him to the vet 2 weeks later. Found out his kidney's were going and put him on a special Science Diet kidney food (dry). I then came home for Christmas break and really thought I was going to have to put him down at that time. I had to hand feed him for a week b/c he decided he didn't like the dry dog food. We then put him on canned dog food and he loved it. I think T'day was the last hunt we let him go on until he looked healthy. After I went back to school I was in constant phone convo. w/ my dad about my dog's condition. After a few months things were really looking good so I planned a trip home in March to take him on his 'final' hunt. It was a hard thing to do and it turned out to be one of the best hunts I've ever had with him! He was working the birds as if he was in his prime again. My mom (amateur photographer) came along and snapped some fantastic pics! Things were still looking good after we rested him. Then around Labor Day of '05 it wasn't looking promising....holding his head down, tired sad look in his eyes, very very skinny, etc etc. His kidneyshad finally goneand I made a special trip during the week to come home and put him down at 9 1/2 yrs. R.I.P. Patches
Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

Not sure who to ask so why not the folks here? I have a long time family companion, Golden retriver, who just turned 15 2 weeks ago. The poor guy has bad arthrytis (sp?) on his back legs to the point where he can no long stand up with out help. We now have a harness he wears all the time so we can lift and walk him to/from food, water and bathroom etc. It is rare for him to stand alone for more than a few seconds at a time. The dog also has started growing those wonderful lumps under his skin. He now has a returning lump, cut out once already on his right side chest just behind his front leg. Daamn thing must weigh 3 or 4 LBs now, football size. Did I menytion that this latest lump now needs to stay bandaged so the dog won't lick it to death, so it does oose but not infected, yet. . . .I don't think he would make it through another trip to have it removed again. Not to mention eye and hearing going too.

The boys 10, 14 along with the wife feel he must be happy if he wags his tail once in a while.

I keep hoping to poor guy will go in his sleep but he keeps hanging in. . .

I think it is time to call it quits. The pound would charge a small fee if I take him in for the final shot and disposal.

If I was still in Texas I would take him out to the ranch and take him for a nice walk and then do it my self but I now live in town and don't have such an option any more.

Thoughts?
my sister spent 660 dollars on 1 trip to vet for all kinds of tests on dog..her boxer was 13 years old..i could see it was sick and should have been put to sleep and so could vet but he took her real good..

most of us dont want to end it,try deciding to put down dog that bites at age 2 years old.real bumber to live with..

yes, that dog is ready to go, dont waste anymore money on something that is not going to help anyhow ..thats longer than most dogs live..

i went through this 9 times over46 years..i think its terrible vets operate and prolong this when they know dog should go..money is driving everything now..
Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Well . . while there were many tears from wife and kids we put him down Monday night. I stayed with him until it was over. The vet actualy has a special room where the family can spend the last few minutes in comfort.

It was time and he is for sure in a better place now. . .

Thanks all for your thoughts. . . .
Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry Texas,God knows its tough.

You did the right thing.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

that is really too bad about your dog. I've got one that is 18yrs old and she's on all sort arthritis medication, but still failing over time. Its like I told the other people in my family about her'. You exhaust ever feasible option you have but in the end its just best to let go. Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, but if he's led a good life then let him die with the dignity that he deserves as part of your family. best of luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you did the right thing.

GSG
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I would put him down. I just recently put my dog down at 15 years and could hardly walk. I just dont like to see animals in pain. Thats just my two cents though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.