HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   To fix or not to fix (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/185937-fix-not-fix.html)

sprock 03-25-2007 07:13 PM

To fix or not to fix

I just rescued an English Pointer from our local animal shelter and I was just wondering if having her fixed would hinder her hunting abilities? Some say yes and some say no, can anyone clear this up for me?

Rich Baker 03-26-2007 04:31 AM

RE: To fix or not to fix

If she came from a shelter she's already fixed. Thats the first thng they do.

sprock 03-26-2007 07:32 AM

No, she is not fixed .They didn't do it at the shelter and I'm not to sure why. They are suppose too. All I have to do is make a appointment for her and that is why I asked the question.

Feistman 03-26-2007 04:24 PM

It won't hinder a thing.

outdoorslover 03-26-2007 07:29 PM

I got my English Setter from an animal rescue. To adopt him you had to fix him soI had no choice. It hasn't hurt him a bit. He hunts as hard as he can and hunts well. Furthermore, he no longer sprays things and he is friendlier for some reason. Don't worry about it. If he is from a shelter, I'm guessing he doesn't have papers(which my dog doesn't) so you can't breed him.

Dogs from shelters can be timid. They need to be loved and socialized very well before you hunt over them. It took me about 1 1/2 years to get my dog ready to hunt. Be careful in his training.

SWOSUMike 03-26-2007 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

If he is from a shelter, I'm guessing he doesn't have papers(which my dog doesn't) so you can't breed him.

That's not true. If a dog is not fixed and you own him, you can breed him all you want papers or not. Registries have no authority over dog owners who are not members of the registry. -MIKE

CDover 03-27-2007 02:43 PM

Not one bit my 6yrs old GSP is a machine......All she wants to do is Hunt birds,chase a tennis ball and eat... in that order. She was fixed at 6 months old....

RedBeard5289 03-27-2007 08:07 PM

If memory serves, I believe thatsome shelters neuter/spay all pets that are up for adoption so that they don't get "repeat business" from that pet. Especially if that pet runs away, abandoned or comes up with an unplanned pregnancy.
Now some shelter have you pay extra for an unneutered/unspayed pet with the understanding that when you get the pet fixed you will be partially reimbursed by the shelter upon providing them documentation that the pet has been fixed. I believe this is money issue for some shelters since they can't afford to get every animal the take in fixed.
This is what happen when we adopted our family cat (wife's idea not mine). He was 8-12 weeks old and not fixed. I think we paid $65 for him and after we got him neutered and showed the shelter the paperwork from the vet we got $25-30 bucks back. After he healed he was back to his usual energetic, inquizative self prior to the visit to the vet.
Side note also, My brother's dog was fixed after straying one to many times from the farm for some late night romance and he is still energetic and eager to hunt as ever. If anything I think the neutering calmed him down bit to make him easier to train and work with.

Just my two cents!
RedBeard5289

Phil from Maine 03-28-2007 08:28 AM

That's not true. If a dog is not fixed and you own him, you can breed him all you want papers or not. Registries have no authority over dog owners who are not members of the registry. -MIKE
Maybe that way in your area, but, here if you choose not to fix it they will come and claim it back as it would be part of an agreement to have it fixed. For as far as hunting goes I do not see where it will matter much.

Mite 03-29-2007 05:22 AM

Personally, I would have her spayed. The only real difference you will find is how other dogs will react to her. If left intact, you'll probably find other intact females being aggressive towards her and males trying to dominate. Not something you'd want in the field. As to hunting ability, I haven't seen nor heard of anything negative against spaying.

SWOSUMike 03-29-2007 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Maybe that way in your area, but, here if you choose not to fix it they will come and claim it back as it would be part of an agreement to have it fixed. For as far as hunting goes I do not see where it will matter much.
Idon't think it'sjust my area. There is no way in the world a registry can tell anybody what you can and can't do with your dogs if your dogs are not registered with their registry. Registries are not government entities. You might be thinking of shelters. They would indeedbe authorized to require spaying and neutering before allowing you to adopt one of their dogs, and some breeders may even use such a contract, but a dog registry has no authority whatsoever what you do with your unregistered dog, no matter what area you are in. The AKC cannot tell me what to do with my dogs if my dogs are not affiliated with the AKC. Same with any other registry. They are mine, and regardless of how responsible or not it may be, I could technically breed them all I want with whatever other dogs I want and nobody could tell me otherwise as long as I was following any rules or codes that might exist in my area through the government, homeowners association, etc.

Phil from Maine 03-30-2007 08:15 AM

I just rescued an English Pointer from our local animal shelter
Yes in fact I am thinking of a shelter as it was stated in the first part of this subject. I was not reffering to any sort of registration requirements as that is up to the breeder and buyer agreement on what goes on.

SWOSUMike 03-30-2007 03:52 PM

I gotcha phil. What you said makes sense when you quote that line rather than the one I posted. I was confused because you quoted my post, which was addressing someone who said you can't breed a dog if it is not papered. Have a good one and good hunting. -MIKE

IndyHunter83 04-05-2007 04:50 PM

I would have the dog fixed unless you are wanting to breed it later. Having it fixed may calm it down if its a flighty dog. Personally, I've had hunting dogs that were fix and they hunted just as hard as those who were'nt