Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

differant dogs

Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 AM

Default differant dogs

Hello everyone, new to the sport and need some clarification. I know the differance between flushing dogs and pointing dogs but how do you decide which dog to use? What type of birds do you hunt the most with each type of dog? What be best for me as I would be mainly hunting pheasants and bob whites with only an ocasional chuckar in the mix. Thanks for the help.

BP
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 AM

Default RE: differant dogs

Being new to the game a flushing dog would be a better candidate. ALOT EASIER ON YOU AND TRAINING.....YOU CAN GET OVERWHELMED, BY THE INTERNET TRAINERS. unfortunatly. Thanks Jonesy
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM

You need to go and watch different dogs go through their paces. Then after you decide if you want a Pointer or Flusher, then you need to decide on the breed. If you do any waterfowl hunting and like the pointing dogs then go with a Versatile breed. If you like a flusher then you need to choose from those breeds. Have fun with the decision and remember you can use Rogain to help replace the hair
Good Luck
WYOWIRES

Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 AM

I will and do look at it from a trainers point of veiw, first thing is the guy is green on dogs.....so most all retrievers not much, or as much training needed, just lil common sense. I know for a fact the retrievers are able to do it all, have shot various types of birds over my personal dogs, and have clients that will also agree. The training part of doing a pointing breed dog, on someone that has not got an idea, makes it alot harder....for them. The books and videos dont tell you when or why to stop the session, or how to fix, when you didnt stop. Am not pushing retrievers in anyway, but for the instance, should be a better dog, cause he can go hunt. Pointers are my favorite, along with a nice setter. I feel a retriever would save him alot of headaches in the long run....this is only an opinion, and not wanting or trying to offend anyone, in any way......all dogs are great, if you know what your doing. Go and watch the other forums, and see what I explain.....the usual booger with the retriever is the retrieve, because they got in to big a hurry for the retrieved item, or overdoing it, the rest is possibly gunshy, or and or birdshy....because they got in to big a hurry. This is just a trainers point of view. This topic could be very interesting to see where it goes. Cya, Jonesy
Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

The training part of doing a pointing breed dog, on someone that has not got an idea, makes it alot harder....for them. The books and videos dont tell you when or why to stop the session, or how to fix, when you didnt stop.
I have to agree with Jonesy, when I first got my setters I discovered I had alot to learn and still do. When my first one flew in I wasn't very prepared for what I had to do. I still have to work on her because of my mistakes. When my second one arrived he taught me as much as I taught him, as I was more prepared for him. Now he has moved way ahead of my first one and my first one is learning some from my other one. But, the headaches of trying to fix the problems is something else. So without a doubt I have to agree with Jonsey on this one.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Dogs are Cheap. and Guns are too.
Buy waht you want ant get rid of what you don't want
Get one of both and that way you will Know what it is that you want and it is just as easy to feed 2 dogs as it is 1.
It is also just as easy to feed 3 dogs as it is 4
I feed 23 dogs and love them all.
However, I don't feed anything that does not work besides my Wife and her 4 Dogs and 2 Horses and 3 Cats and a pet Quail and Sister and Mother-in-law and Her Car aand Truck and my Bass Boat.
well you get the picture owing dogs is just like anything else. You had better have a Love for it.
MEAT IS CHEAPER IN THE GROCERY STORE and WOMEN ARE CHEAPER BY THE HOUR.