Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions >

Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Just curious what you have owned in the past and now own, if you will switch, or if you have finally "found" your breed.

retrievers- I have had about six labs starting with pups fromdifferent friendshunting dog, atwo from UKC hunt test lines, and two with truly high powered pedigrees FC sire and damn.

spaniels - one little english cocker
one field bred springer

pointers - one Fiddler bred english pointer

versatiles - one Dixieland's Rusty linebred x German Kurzhaar GSP;
two VDD Deutsch Drahthaars

My favorites (in order)-

The drahts have been a great surprise. Everything I want in a dog plus easy to train, tough but biddible, and good watch dogs. Sure glad I found this breed. It will take something special to make me change breeds now.

The two UKC hunt test labs were nice easy handling fun dogs to work with.Neither could have won a field trial, but we played quite a few doggy games and did pretty well. Hated to see them go.

The GSP is a pleasure to own, calm, serious, and a hunting machine. Matured quickly, took to training well, and is a perfect gentlemen in the house.

Field Springer - a nifty little dog that did everything with a spunk and a sparkle in his eyes. Nothing better than watching a springer hard flush a rooster.

The not-so favorites (in order)

Two FC-bred labs. These dogs were mentally out of balance. Both were neurotic, never seemed to calm down well, and were destructive. They were strictly kennel dogs in the end, never could get them to chill out a bit in the house. Both had health problems. Cataracts on one, elbows on the other one.

English cocker - OH MY GOD! He put the H in hyperactive. If he were lab-sized he probably would be my least favorite dog. Luckily, his small stature limited the trouble he could cause to some degree. Still he was a fiestly little bugger who did it all fairly well. It was sitting in the blind with the little monster that grew tiring.

Fiddler pointer - beautiful to watch, amazing bird finder, but pretty much one-dimensional. If I lived in Texas, I would have a couple just like him. By the Grace of God, I don't live in Texas, so I don't have any more. Liked to spin in circles in his kennel like an idiot -- I understand lots of Fiddler bred dogs do that.

Backyard bred labs - nice enough dogs, I just kind of outgrew their abilities. Good meat dogs though, and hey, for $200 bucks, they were well worth it. Probably the right dog for a young guy just getting his feet wet.

I would like to hear what other breeds you guys have owned and your opinions of the dogs you owned and trained.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

I had an Irish Setter as a kid and loved it very much, but, it was never trained to hunt as it was a family pet. He was very loyal and was a great companion to have around until he was hit by a truck. Then as a teenager I hunted over a friends Irish Setter and he was a great hunter and very loyal to my friend as well.
My next was a Black Lab and she was a great dog too, she put to rest at seventeen years old. She was more of a laid back type of hunter but, had a super nose. She was a great dog in the house as well. I knewI couldn't replace her so I went looking for the breed I had as a kid.
After searching the papers, adds from a magazine that is here, and the web for about three months I found what I was looking for! The hunting Irish Setter, I flew one in and what a nose she had. She was very quick and hyper as well. I found that by running her on the dirt roads that she was much calmer around the house so she gets to run whenever I get the chance to take her out. I liked how she hunted and flew in another Irish Setter and can he ever hunt! They both have champion hunting lines from the IKC out of Dublin, Ire. They make great pets around our children who are now within their teenage years. Both are very loyal and listen well, as try to make you proud of them when hunting. I do not have to hunt for them when the hunt is over as they like to know where I am at when hunting. So for me I am very happy with what I have for hunting dogs.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Owned one Lab and loved them. My friends all had labs because one of us bred them. Great on the water and in the field. Hunted everything with "Ursa" rabbit, squirrel, Upland, waterfowl.

But always dreamed of having one of them beautiful Pointers I see in pictures. So I got me and Elhew pointer one day and have been in love ever since. I now own 3 generations, Grammy, Mom, & grandaughter. All very smart and very biddable and great in the house. Although Mom had to be schooled to enter the house, not bounce of the walls in joy. I cannot go a hunting season without watching their lean whitebodies rippling with muscles streaking thru fields and woods in search of the days "HIGH", a nose full of the good stuff, BIRDS! Heck even when I run them during the weak I always stop to watch them run, its just like seeing Air Jordon dunk, its neat to watch. And I LOVE white animals, they just looks so vibrant and alive.But I will say its not the do all dog I had.

I hope to have other dogs in my arsenal just like I have a gun for each type of hunting. Would like another lab., and a dog that can track downed deer and do some coyote hunting w/ me. It would get me out on the real cold days. And bunny hunting behind a Beagle was fun and would like that too. Although hound dogs tend to make Noise, all my dogs are nice and quiet. Only bark at intruders and coyotes.

PS I have 2 male Pointers for sale!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

AM- i sent you a pm
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have had one cocker, one lab, and now have a pointing lab.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

And the question was your opinion on each?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM

I've had Walkers, Redbones, a Black and Tan, a Bluetick, Beagles, Chocolate Labs, Black Labs, English Pointers, an English Setter, and last but not least two GSP's.

By far and I mean by a mile and not even close my favorite two dogs were my GSP's (have one currently) as far as the hounds go I loved a pair of Beagles I had (but it took going through a dozen dogs to get that two)
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

My bad, The cocker was a great dog. I did not hunt at the time but she was very birdy with a stong desire to retrive. She was good in the home and liked to be around people.
My lab is an awesome dog. When I move I left him with my parents. They were to send him after I found a place to live. When the time came I was told no way. He loves people and always wanted to please me. He is not the strongest hunter, but I never lost a bird with him. He hasn't hunted in three years but still knows all of his commands.
My Pointing Lab is just a pup. She is off at school and won't be back until April. She throws a great point and will retrieve all day long. She loves the water and learns quickly. I miss her and can't wait for next season.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I started out with a dropper (shorthair-pointer cross) then a britt. Very good bird finders but just didnt run big enough. Got a lab out of some pretty good lines.(i started duck hunting also) Then moved to setters. 1 english female. Got colon cancer and had to be put down. 1 llewellin, complete moron! Give him away. Then finally got pointers and will never switch. But still got my lab she is nine years old.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted growing up over Dad's English Pointer...he could hunt all day and fight all night! Grandfather had Brittneys worked close and were great cover dogs. Dad got a couple field trial dogs from a oil company kennel and if you weren't horse back you didn't have a chance keeping up.I had my house dog/best friend that was and American bulldog and I aquired a Blue Heeler about the same time...I know not a hunting dog but she was born to please people!Pheasant hunting they had a choice with her run and die by her means or flush in distance and maybe I would miss.Her last hunt was in snow and she accounted for birds)roosters) on her own...she would root them out and trail.Dove was her curse,she hated to sit and wait,blue quail was one of the best things to put her on!Now all I have is French Mastiff,he's a child of divorce,best friend and companion!God made him so loveable cause he's so darn dumb!

Quick Reply: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.