Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions >

Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

That I doubt. In fact, in my opinion, there are no other retriever breeds that do it as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM

Clarification,
English Pointers were bred to Walker Hounds.maybe some to Fox Hounds but, what is a fox hound besides anything that will run a fox?
Do you really think that all the sudden in the 1980s that labs just starting pointing for particular reason at all?
Droppers (never heard it put that way before)
Drops or Drop Dogs are a product more times from a mistake in a bird hunters kennel. field trialer doing this never say anything at all.
English Setters dominated the All-Age Stakes from the first trial till the 1960s
Why all the sudden can they not win a national championship?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have a book with the Nat Ch's listed in it somewhere, will see if I can find it. The E. Setter's quit dominating long befor the 1960's if I remember right. The last setter to win it was Johnny Crocket in the early, maybe mid '60's.

The E. Pointer's were bred to fox hounds just for the run, or so it say's in the book Field Trials.

And no I don't think the lab's I don't suspect that labs just all of a sudden started pointing. I suspect a solid liver shorthair or two helped them along.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 PM

I have enjoyed Original Mountain Curs, but they are treedogs, not bird dogs. However, my male has "pointed" a covey one time and it reminded me of a Brittany's style. It was awesome. I like Mountain Curs because of one major thing -- brains! They are sharp dogs that just know how to do things. When a dog knows to look in trees with their eyes for squirrels while hunting for them with their nose, you've got something special. A lot of guys runs squirrels in the day and coons at night, and their dog do great at both. The story of Old Yeller depicts a mountain cur-type dog that guards the place, bays pigs, holds cattle, etc. even though the movie uses more of a lab-like dog.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 AM

We currently own an 11 yr old male Dalmatian who used to be a pretty good mourning dove dog. His mouth is too small for much more than that.

Next week we're picking up a male yellow Lab with high hopes.

Both of my brothers-in-law have owned labs and Golden Retrievers. The Labs are the best in their opinion for the variety of birds they shoot, our ND climate, and family (kids) bonding.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM

It's been a while since I have been on here. We have Treeing Feist squirrel dogs. You can see pictures of them on our website. We hunt squirrel, rabbit, coon and game birds with them.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Springersare prolly the nicest dog i have owned and still own. I have had all field bred form CH lines or pups whekped from dogs i have known and seen in the field.Springers are obiedient,fast, very intelligent, make a nice companion, love to hunt, can work all day, and are versatile. I had a Springer, Bubba, he was trained to hunt upland and waterfowl. He worked great on ducks and geese, then would gladly go and flush me a pheasant. I previuosly owned Walker coon houds and now am in the process of getting my coyote hound back from training. He is a Croghan Walker sight hound. I was told he will be a heat seeking missle sigght hound but he will have to perform liek my other coyote dogs before I decide to make hima regular hunter.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grew up with English Springer (until 15)

First puppy: Son of the one we had but got rid of him due to digging up my mom's yard

First Own Puppy: German Shorthaired Pointer - Gift for graduating from Jr.high from parents, only for them to get rid of him because of digging (years and years ago but still never forgave them for it)

Second Puppy: German Shorthaired Pointer - Had him for over a year but had to give up due to the living conditiions at the time

Third: I haven't decided if I want another GPS or a Lab

I haven't much luck on dogs and its been going on 8 years so i'm so getting a puppy this year

I wouldn't own anything but a sporting breed
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

Sporting breeds:

English Setter - Very good nose. Friendly. Like to run all day.Average bird desire compared to other setters/pointers. Range was okay once she settled down. Daughter of I'm Oscar/local CH.

Llewellin Setter - Head strong. Paces herself more. Ranges closer than setter.Strongest prey drive I've seen yet.

Golden retriever - goofiest dog I've ever owned. Bust at upland, she liked to 'hunt' rats rather than birds. But she would have made a good waterfowl dog, if she could sit still.

Another goldie - kept him for about 2 years. House dog. Got rid of him because of barking and she dug a huge tunnel in the backyard.

Non-sporting:
2 pomeranians - owned mother and son.

I left out dogs I've own less than six months.

Quick Reply: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.