HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Should I or shouldn't I? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/179004-should-i-shouldnt-i.html)

Cara 02-04-2007 05:25 PM

Should I or shouldn't I?

My local pound has a young GSP in danger of euthanasia this week. We already have 3 large dogs, my Bloodhound and Lab/Golden and my boyfriend's cur. Let's just say i'm a soft touch, mine were both pound dogs. I am training mine for Search and Rescue, and from what I have heard the GSP has the potential to be a good search dog also. What's your opinion? I'm wondering if I should 'find' this dog and either work on basic obedience with him so he is more adoptable, or see how he would be as a working dog. I can't bear to see healthy young dogs put to sleep, but I have been told numerous times 'no more dogs!!!'

Phil from Maine 02-04-2007 05:56 PM

RE: Should I or shouldn't I?

You would have to concider if you have enough time for another dog or not. As you probably know that they all love attention and need to be exercised regually. i can not really say as I wouldn't know your whole situation. However I have to admire your desire to help all you can. If you can not is there someone you know that can take care of this GSP? I know it is sad to see or here about it, but what can anyone do about it when the former owners do not care. Here the town's animal control officer picks up dogs every year that are dropped off with out any tags or collars. They know we have an animal control officer and that the town will have to take care of it for them. But, not everyone can do much about it. A very sad thing indeed, Good Luck with your choice on this.

Cara 02-04-2007 06:08 PM

I am thinking if I feed him up and get him conditioned, teach him some basicmannersand run that kennel frustration out of him, he will be a more appealing prospect for a new owner. I'm sure you can imagine how a GSP that hasn't been out ofthe kennel in2 weeks looks. Luckily he is already fixed and house broken, and I am off work for a couple of weeks to supervise. It makes me so mad when people throw dogs out because they're not what they wanted, when they haven't taken the time to work with them. He had come into the pound as a stray a couple of months ago and been adopted, but the adopters returned him because they 'found a better dog elsewhere.' He'd have to be an amazingly good dog to keep him long term though, we already have two just over a yr old, and this one hasn't even turned 1! I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, the man begging for more hunting dogs. I know better than to suggest a second Bloodhound though, I have been told mine counts as 3 dogs.

I'm wondering if I jail break him and get him out meeting people if it will be a lot easier to 'sell' him. I could ask around amongst the SAR group, although they are all Shepherd people. They may have contacts. My main aim is to buy him time to either find the right home or turn him around so he'd make a better companion. I don't have the first idea of how to test his hunting abilities. I'd imagine he's either never been started or turned out to be gun shy if he was turned in at such a young age.

Phil from Maine 02-04-2007 06:41 PM

I would guess that he was never started and that the folks who had him never had enough time for him. Normally when this happens to a dog like this they will say that the dog is so " out of control " all because they didn't have enough time for him. Hunting dogs are typically high strung and need to be exercised. Yes, I think it would be a good idea to get him around to meeting people if possible and explain what is happening to him and perhaps someone could give him a good home. Hopefully they will have time for him and can take him some place so he can run some energy off. I think where he is young he can still make someone an excellent dog.
Good Luck!

Cara 02-06-2007 11:41 AM

Well I did it. I couldn't say no for the sake of $15. I just brought him home a couple of hours ago and my Lab/Golden loves him. They have been playing, and now he's made himself at home on the sofa! I guess he's a resilient guy, most pound dogs seem to take a week or so before their personality comes out. He's a good looking dog but he'll look a whole lot better once the kennel sores are gone. I have a strange question though!! Is it normal for them to get sores on their nuts?! It looks like it might be from sitting down.

asttbe 02-06-2007 02:26 PM

What part of TX are you in? You say the dog is under 1 year and he is fixed, but he still has testicles?

Cara 02-06-2007 02:58 PM

I'm just outside Amarillo. The pound told me he was fixed, but when I collected him I found that wasn't the case. They must have got confused, they had quite a few dogs. He looks around a year, maybe just under to me. It's hard to tell, I haven't been around pointers much. His teeth are white and he is playful but pretty calm indoors, much more so than my 14 month lab/golden, but again that might be a pointer thing or just him settling in.