HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Weimaraners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/177796-weimaraners.html)

Rich Baker 01-29-2007 08:24 AM

Weimaraners

Alright guys, What do you think of this breed as a hunting/family dog? Trainabilaty Im a pointing dog training virgin are weimaraners hard headed or easy to train? Are they as good a hunting dog as GSP and GWP's? HELP ? I guy I know has some 9 week old pups and he's a hunter so they are hunting stock just dont know anything about them. Also if any of you have pic of them on point on real birds would you please post them? Thanks Rich

camelcluch 01-29-2007 11:00 AM

RE: Weimaraners

Good dog, depends on the type of hunting you will be doing. They do have energy.

bogteal 01-29-2007 12:40 PM

if its your first time go for gsp . are gsp a better dog yes and they make a great pet as well, weimers take a lot longer to grow up and are very unforgiving you will need to take very slow i have had Irish setters, English pointers, and weimaraners but to me the best is gsp and good luck to you.

Elkhntr04 01-29-2007 03:35 PM

In my quest for the right dog I have talked to a lot of guys. All seem to be very breed loyal. One guys loves GSP's and says Brittany's are this or that. In other words I had a hard time getting subjective answers. So what I did was went and looked at a ton of breeds. GSP, GWP, English Setter, English Pointer, American Brittany, French Brittany, Vizslaand picked what one I thought would best fit me and my family. What I ended up choosing was the French Brittany. It was a fun process. And all were good dogs, just my FB fit my criteria.

Rich Baker 01-30-2007 12:52 AM

Well I found out they are from show stock and the owner of the stud and bitch has never hunted them. . I guess its back to a search for a GSP or GWP. I would prefer a GSP

Phil from Maine 01-30-2007 03:51 AM

Yeah, with most any dog you have to do research before you buy, here almost every where you look labs are being bred steadily. So it doesn't matter what you get research can not be stressed enough.

Snooky 01-30-2007 03:03 PM

Before you can find the "best" dog, first decide exactly what you are looking for, then start looking at the breed most likely to have such a dog. Having owned English Pointers, GSP's GWP's, Brittanies, and Weiners, 1979WCA Nat'l Derby Ch., "Haus", was my dog. There are good ones in all of the breeds. One man likes one type of dog and will make statement like, "as a bird dog, I have never seen a good one". That man is kennel blind, or has never seen many bird dogs. There are big "show" type weiners that don't make the kind of dog I like. There are those bred for field work only that are as good as any breed in my opinion but they hunt different than other breeds. There aren't gray GSP's and have a different personality altogether. There are some lines within the breed tend to be ill tempered as do some GSP's, GWP's, English Pointers, Setters, and all other breeds. One must do his homework when looking for the dog of a lifetime. Don't fall for a color and then try to turn that color into the performance dog you desire. Pickthe performance that you must have, and then start looking for a dog of any color that will perform exceptibly.

AlaskaMagnum 01-31-2007 06:40 PM

Good post Snooky,

I agree lots of good dogs of all sorts of breeds out there. However, let's be brutually honest here. Hunting weims are not common in the United States. In the 1980's they became the yuppy puppy and most were bred strictly for show/companions.

There are weims that are hunted and tested and titled in NAVHDA and other venues, but they are not common, and most breedings are booked a year or so in advance.

A weim from good hunting stock is at least a year wait, but it you have your heart set on one, they are out there.

Alternatively, you could import a pup from Germany where they are still hunted and tested. It is not as expensive as you think.