Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Tracking dogs. whats the best? >

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Tracking dogs. whats the best?

hello everybody im new to this forum my names lucian and im 14 years old from illinois and im a huge fan of bowhunting. the only thing is that i cant stand it when i shoot a big buck, but i make a bad shot and have no way of tracking it without maybe a good tracking dog. my dad is thinking about getting me a good tracking dog after the holidays are over. i want a bloodhound and i have somewhere i can get a good discount on one. but i also want to know your oppinion on the best tracking dog that i could get for a cheap price, would train easily, and would be outstanding in the field. thanks everybody for your time and merry christmas
Old 12-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im also a 14 year old hunter but im from ohio.
any ways i have a friend that uses a lab.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well that is probably a great choice for a tracking dog. However, if you're looking to find a dead deer just about any healthy dog will do.

I have an Australian Cattle Dog AKA Blue/Red heeler, Queensland heeler. It only took him one training session to figure out what I wanted him to do. After you shoot a deer, go get your dog. Even if you know where the deer is. Give the dog some commands such as "go get'em boy" or whatever else you like. Once you find the deer, praise the dog like crazy, even if you are frustrated with his performance, and he didn't really find it. He will then know what you're expecting of him.

I'm also using my dog to assist in stalking. He seems to be a natural. His breed is a mix of Highland collie and wild Australian Dingo, so hunting is in his blood. If I'm sneaking, he's sneaking. If I stop, he stops. I'm no dog trainer. He just seems to know what we're doing and seems to be getting pretty good at it.

But, I would not recommend this breed unless you've got some room for him to run and you plan on spending a lot of time with him. The don't like playing simple games such as fetch. They like to be with you, doing what you're doing, and learning. They also can be pretty aggressive and protective.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions,
KP
Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM

yeah actually the guy who owns the land where i hunt has an old blue tick named blackie and he is realy good at tracking and didnt take much training. i was thinking about a blue tick, also
Old 12-22-2006, 05:14 PM

can anyone else help me out here? i just want to know some good tracking dogs that will be very playful and easy to train.. i need to know soon what i want.
thanx
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Well that is probably a great choice for a tracking dog. However, if you're looking to find a dead deer just about any healthy dog will do.

I'm also using my dog to assist in stalking. He seems to be a natural. His breed is a mix of Highland collie and wild Australian Dingo, so hunting is in his blood. If I'm sneaking, he's sneaking.
I also have a stalk dog.
A Basenji. They dont bark or shed or smell too bad.
small enough to keep in the house too. loves to play. Protective.
she will be at the deer before I am, and lets me know how yo get there.
TheRottweiler.Is themost loveable/protective/best "overall" performerdog I have ever seen, when trained correctly.

Beagles are real good too and very inexpensive when talking purebred.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

A number of people are using weiner dogs. Good pets, small and don't eat a lot of feed.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wire Haired Dachshunds are a very popular breed for blood tracking wounded animals.

Here, Check out: http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php

http://www.deerrecoverypa.org/DRP%20Home.htm

http://www.thetroutbum.com/messageboardfr.htm
Old 12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Rob said is the best advice for a tracking dog they are the beast!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM

yeah the only thing is the dog i get has to be an outside dog.. and i would like a bigger dog.. any other good ones that are bigger?

Quick Reply: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.