Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Tracking dogs. whats the best? >

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Hey Lucian, I've been in the tracking business for 6 seasons now. Its what I do. First and foremost I would advise you to read John Jeanney's latest editon on tracking dogs and their training. You can find one by doing a google search in his name. Also, join UBT (united bloodtrackers). We have a great site and there's lots of helpful folks there. I happen to own a Bavarian Mountain Hound which I imported from Poland as my #1 dog. I also use a mixed breed and she's probably more lab than anything. For your purposes you don't need a specialty dog like my Vars. As a short list and for someone that wants a "bigger dog" that's cheap. I'd have to look at the local pound for one and I'd be looking for a hound/pointer or hound/lab mix. Unfortunately there's lots of em out there. As the previous post addressed (and this is from someone that owns one) a Bloodhound is not what you need. If you decide you want a pure breed I'd have to look hard at the Drathaar, any of the pointers andretrievers but my number one choice in your situation would be a Black Mouth curr. I would say that 99% of those of us that do this "professionally" keep our dogs in the house. There's a special bond that's developed and needed when working with a tracking dog and its hard to develop this bond when your companion and buddy is kept outside. I know a little about the laws in Illinois as far as tracking goes because that's where I work and track from late Oct. til the end of second shotgun season. You will have to work your dog on a leash.As you know it gets cold in Illinois so take special care tobuild yourbuddy a safe and warm pen.It sounds to me like you will be responsible for him somake sure your up to the task. Dogs require attention, time and dedication. Feel free to PM or email me with any questions. I'll help you with any questions you have.

Dan
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

I love my bloodhound. The only thing with him though is that he is hard headed when it comes to training.