Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Tracking dogs. whats the best? >

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:26 PM

Default RE: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

ORIGINAL: BuckHunter92

yeah the only thing is the dog i get has to be an outside dog.. and i would like a bigger dog.. any other good ones that are bigger?
Rottweiler. They will find the deer sight or smell.
Boxer. Bred for Big Game.I had one in my teenage years. Great Dog
Norwegian Elkhound. My uncle had one many years ago, he did his job well.
Scottish Deerhound
German Shepard
Irish Wolfhound
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have a shorthair weinerdog, Just a house dog. She's such a weeney when it comes to cold weather,... I would have had to buy her a camo coat! lol

I'll keep that in mind for my next dog though.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM

what do u guys think about a part walker/redbone/black and tan??.. it may not have black and tan in it but im not sure i know it will have a good nose though

Old 12-23-2006, 08:26 PM

ANY dog willfind a dead deer for you.
But it has been to my experience that a dog that has equal vision and hearing just simply find them quicker.
Dogs with "pure smell" traits work better at night.

Just take care of what ever dog you get and dont just leave him chained or penned in the backyard. Before you do that go buy a good tracking book and study it afield. MHO

Hope I helped. Enjoy your friend and treat him as such.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 PM

well im going to keep him in a pen in the backyard with an insulated doghouse.. but every day after school im going to come home, feed him, play with him, and train him for a while.. ive been looking up ways on the web to train a tracking dog.. and ive found some different ways to try. thanks baleful scout
Old 12-24-2006, 04:05 AM

You're welcome.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:26 AM

Any dog will find a freshly hit easy to find deer. When the track is 8 hours old or more, the track is faint, and the going tuff...there are dogs that fit your bill.

Look to the versatile dogs (continental breeds) like shorthairs, wirehairs, vizlas, etc. and look to dogs that have been test in blood tracking.

My female drahts mother has passed a special test for both a 20 hour old blood track and a 40 hour old blood track. At that point, it is about the dog's ability to concentrate more so than scenting ability. A dog that cannot remain calm and concentrated on track will not pass the test.

Dachsunds are good as well, but you want to look for a Dackel these are the dachsunds that are still tested in blood tracking and are registered as Dackel no Dachsund/
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 AM

I am a firm believer in bluetics that is what I use and he does'nt leave
a leaf unturned, nothing in the bush he wont find
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Spike

I'd advise against a Bloodhound. The nameis derived from them being a purebred dog owned by nobility (a 'blooded' hound) rather than an ability to followblood trails. They are more of a mantrailing dog than a hunting dog, and you absolutely cannot let them run loose unless they are in a fenced area. Turn one out to find a deer and if he gets on the trail of something else, you won't find him until he gets to whatever he wants or gets hit by a car. Once the head is down they are pretty much blind, and have no road sense. A Bloodhound would probably be too much dog to handle when hunting, they drag you all over and are not fond of typical obedience. They also eat a whole lot, mine goes through about 20lbs a week. Basic supplies like heartworm and flea/tick meds are more expensive due to the higher doses, and an outside dog must have these. On top of that, they hate to be by themselves and are not a good outside dog. They will howl, bay, dig, climb, jump, and generally make you and themselves miserable until they get what they want, or you get rid of them.

IMHO, no dog does best left outside the whole time, especially by itself.Hounds in particular need company,both canine and human. They are pack animals, even more so than other dogs. It takes a whole lot of self discipline to provide them with the attention they need whatever the weather, and it is a lot harder to keep an eye on their health. Not to mention the companionship a dog will give you that you might miss if it's not around the whole time.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 AM

I use one of my German Wirehaired Pointers. It is what they were bred for as well as hunt birds, upland and waterfowl. They are also a fur hunter. The German Wirehaired Pointer is one of many versatile dog breeds that are used for any of the uses that I named and then some. Do a Google for Versatile Gun Dog and you will be busy for quite some time. I
I love hounds but the baying prevents me from having any.
GOOD LUCK
WYOWIRES

Quick Reply: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.