Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Skittish lab pup

Old 12-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Default RE: Skittish lab pup

ORIGINAL: farmchick

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad one time...and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.

I'm sorry but that's just pathetic...

Sounds like to me your husband needs someone to beat him up pretty bad and keep coming around until he cowers around like that... I'd never stand for it! Poor dog... I'd give her away before I'd make her put up with it.

[:@]
Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BlueRidgeRetrievers

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad one time...and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.

I'm sorry but that's just pathetic...

Sounds like to me your husband needs someone to beat him up pretty bad and keep coming around until he cowers around like that... I'd never stand for it! Poor dog... I'd give her away before I'd make her put up with it.

labs seem to be dog breed that does not forget, to well..husband has done nothing that most of us have not done in our lifetime..

i had dog that bit me, i broke stick over his back..he never bit me again..

i had another friend who dog bit people..he took dog to basement,
and they went at it..he ended up coming out of basement with bad bites,he ended up in hospital..

but, he said, sproul, i did not have to put dog to sleep..he saved that dog as dog never bit another person after that fight in basement..

this happened to me when i went after mine for biting a friend and me..most said, SPROUL PUT HIM TO SLEEP..i said, no, we had fight, i got bit ,NOW, he does not bite anyone and is good dog..

i saved that dogs life and so did my friend..sometimes you have to shock dog out of it if they are BITING and not let them think they can go around and bite people..

otherwise, its DEATH FOR DOG..

i dont know why he hit dog with stick, but if he was biting people, sometimes ,it has to be done or dog dies..

i dont think that husband hit dog because She was nice dog..husband needs to LOWER VOICE AND TRY TO SHOW ATTENTION TO HER MORE...
Old 12-26-2006, 10:14 PM

A Dog is A Dog
A Man told me something that holds the truth
A Man, A Dog, and A Horse is all the same either they got it or they don't.
Think about that

Old 12-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

A Dog is A Dog
A Man told me something that holds the truth
A Man, A Dog, and A Horse is all the same either they got it or they don't.
Think about that
i really believe that dog/man needs a chance to CHANGE..which one goes FIRST,is not known..
Old 12-27-2006, 03:16 PM

labs seem to be dog breed that does not forget, to well..husband has done nothing that most of us have not done in our lifetime..
That's BS!
I have NEVER and WILL NEVER BEAT a dog (of any breed) to the point that it cowers when it is in my presence. I have had rabbit beagles, I have had Walker Hounds, now I have Labs. Not one of those animals in my care has ever been beaten to the point that it cowered at the mere sight of me. I'd give the dog away so that it might have a decent life away from "the heavy handed husband".

Ifa dogbites someone it must be corrected, placed away from what the trigger is or put down. I didn't see anywhere in the posting saying the dog was a biter... Just that it had been beaten to the point that it was cowering.

I'll stick with my "Pathetic" call on this one. Sorry.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, maybe you will, maybe you will not..let me know what you do when dog has ahold of your hand in his mouth ..

you may have to eat some words..i only brought up info that caused a person to strike dog,one is biting..

is it right, no, but its better some times than as you said,put dog down..

I NEVER PUT ONE DOWN..everyone i had that did it,i corrected,it was not with nice little kisses..

again, i dont know facts, only gave you a little of what LIFE IS and that most of us are not BAD PEOPLE for striking dog..

if dog is real scared of husband, which thats what i read, he needs to lower his voice and spend more time with dog..

if not, dog needs to be shown attention by someone and he should know he is being to harsh..

i fight with my wife, our dogs hide under the kitchen table..i did not know my LOUD VOICE was causing my dogs to curl up and hide..

trust me, i never laid hand on either one of those dogs, YET, they cowar at my voice..

so, i now argue OUTSIDE WITH HER..
Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Resorting to beating a Dog is just plain weakness on the trainers part. You need to discipline the animals to follow you instructions but beating is a reaction that does nothing but hurt the animals abilities that you are trying to develop. A well disciplines Dog will perform for you until the end of its days, but afrightened Dog will never reach the potential of the breed.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.
well, maybe you will, maybe you will not..let me know what you do when dog has ahold of your hand in his mouth ..

Do you see where she's mentioned that the dog bit anyone? I don't... I read where her husband ispretty "hardhanded" and "beat her pretty bad". Then she goes on to say "so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch."

You telling me you condone that type of behavior? We are certainly different people you and I.

Also, you think I haven't been bitten owning beagles and hounds? Sure I popped them on the head to release my hand or whatever they took to latching onto; BUT, I've never beaten a dog to the point it was cowering around me. I never will.

I won't even comment on you yelling at your wifeto the point your dogs are cowering under the table. Weobviously lead different lives andlifestyles.

Beating a dog is nothing more than weakness, as stated before this posting. It's a reaction of a person with a small mind that empowers himself by taking out aggression on something smaller than him (or herself).

I'll state again, I have never and will never beat an animal to the point that it cowers in my presence. Nor will I condone the beating of animals in any way shape or form.

Just an FYI, I have been training dogs since I was old enough to stand beside my father (who also had been training dogs since James Lamb Free's FIRST EDITION book came out). Nobody trains a dog with "Nice little kisses" as you said but you don't beat them until they shut down either. Anyone that thinks that is the way you train or correct a dog is a fool.