Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Skittish lab pup

Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Skittish lab pup

I have a lab pup that is 11 months old. She is really skittish and I can't figure out how to get her out of it. She is registered and I inhereted her from my sister
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skittish lab pup

Skittish of what? What are the dog's reactions and to what?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 PM

Mostly it is people. when piople walk up to her she will squat down and cower
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long have you had the pup?
How much socialization did you do with the dog when it was a puppy?
Any idea if the dog has had an experience that would make it afraid of people?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 AM

We've had the pup for a few weeks. She has gotten better since then. I think there wasn't enough socializiation when she was a little pup.

I don't think there was anything that happened that would make her that way.

Just trying to figure out how to get her out of it. If I can get her out of her shell enough I'm going to send her off to a professional trainer
Old 12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take her outside of a busy store (WalMart etc) on a short leash. 1 out of every 5 people will want to stop and say HI and Pet your dog. It just needs more "human socialization".

Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

as doc says, he is right on.. i am seeing more labs that act this way..mine did too and does today,he used to bite certain people..

why, because his mother did it..it in genes of some dogs and difficult to correct,if ever..my lab is getting much better but i have to watch him..

some dogs take 1 incident and carry it forever.. i seen a kid hit a dog puppy with stick.. to this day, that lab hates KIDS.. kids can ruin a dog if not supervised when dog is puppy..never let dog alone with kid when dog is puppy..why kids do things they do to dog, is beyond me..

just today i saw young girl TWIST ear of dog that is puppy..that dog will remember that and if its in GENES anyhow,you will have a problem..

can it be corrected, well, not 100%,most i seen is about 75% as they get older..

i cant leave my dog around kids or strangers UNLESS he knows them..
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad one time...and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: farmchick

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad one time...and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.
when 1 of my dogs bit me,i lost it and broke a stick over his back..

i was wrong for doing that but most would have put dog to sleep..

i refused to kill that dog..

he has gotten a lot better and not bit anyone..some dogs are born with this..

your husband needs to just lower his voice, is all..this dog curls up in ball if he hears me fighting with family..

so, i have learned to not RAISE my voice no matter how bad a day i have had ..
Old 12-22-2006, 06:50 PM

k

Quick Reply: Skittish lab pup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.