Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tons of questions...

Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tons of questions...

None of them end up "skittish" as a result of the flight.
Maybe you was lucky, one of my Irish came off the plane very skittish. She wouldn't come out of the crate or stand up for us outside the airport. The breeder has a very good reputation and the pup was handled fine. She has come around relatively good although you can see a little skittish reactions at times but not bad.
My other Irish was shipped 1 year later and absolutely no problems what so ever. He started running around and greeting people right off the bat.

Don't blame the process...it works just fine.
I am not trying to blame the process as the kennel where my Irish have come from ships out regularly and only has a few of these problems but, it does happen. They have also informed the carrier that they expect better from them if not will be looking at a different carrier. As they have had a few problems with the flight schedules being messed up from the aircarrier. The first pup had a four hour flight but, due to hold overs it took seven hours. I had driven five hours to the airport it was coming in on and waited an additional three hours due to the delay. This was scheduled to fly straight through to me, but, due to other issues it never happened. The next one did and without any problems.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: TxVern

As I mentioned before with my weim being scared with tile floors...we went to petsmart today to put up some things, evrything was fine till he hit the tile floor. Now he has gone in to panic mode, in front of the whole store. You would think that we beat him or something the way he was acting,talking about being completely embarrassing[:@], I walked him out of the store around to use the restroom and tried it again. Same thing happened, now the store is split into two type of floor tile and concrete. Once I gave him alittle extra encouragement he proceeded to slowly walk to the back of the store. After he got off the tile he was just fine sniffing everything and going up to everyone who would pet him. So I know it wasn't the amount of people or the other dogs there. Once we picked up what we needed it was off to the front of the store....back on to the tile floor. this took another 15 mins to get him to the front of the store[>:]. Now my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to break him of this??? I'm stuck in a rut and very embarrassed by him acting like this.
I think that the Dog Whisperer did a show on this if you can find it.

In a nutshell, his solution was, the bigger a deal you make out of it, the bigger a deal the dog will thinkit is. If I remember right, his solution was a good old fashioned walking until the dog was plum worn out, then basically just made the dog heel across the floor. The dog was so intent on him, it forgot it was suppossed to be afraid of the floor.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM

Thank you for that info. I'll have to try and find that some where.....
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I got an idea for you. Whenever you introduce things you generally get the dog so excited that it forgets to be afraid. Find a place with a tile floor, I don't think Petsmart will go for this,but toss a clipped wing pigeon in the middle of it. If your dog won't make a bloody mess out it then the dog is hopeless .