HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Looking In Todays Paper (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/169248-looking-todays-paper.html)

Phil from Maine 12-09-2006 07:36 AM

Looking In Todays Paper

High folks I was looking in todays paper and came across an article of treats that can make a bad holiday for your dogs and thoughtI would pass it along.

Dough, a dog that eats this can lead to a serious emergency. The dough may expand causing pain and the warmth from inside can cause the dough to ferment and produce ethanol which causes kidney failure.

Grapes/raisins, may cause kidney disease in some dogs. Signs of can be lethargy loss of appetite or vomiting.

Chocolate, if a dog eats chocolate it can be toxic. Signs would be increase heart rate, body temperature, muscle tremors, and seizures.

Macadamia nuts, injestion could leave dogs sick within 12 hours. Signs are weakness, increase in body temperature, wobbliness, vomiting, and pale mucous membrane.

Some of you folks may already know most of this stuff, but, for dummies like me it is good to know. When the holiday season is approaching it is always good to remind us all. Last year a friend of mine lost a dog to raisins after taking it to the vet and having it stay there four 3 days and nights. They had to put the dog to sleep. So I hope this helps others out over these treats andkeeps your dog from life threatning disaster.

gspjeb 12-09-2006 09:11 PM

RE: Looking In Todays Paper

thanks for the information Phil. All great points. One thing that I talked with my vet about was the chocolate thing. Apparently it is the "baker's chocolate" type that causes the problems. Regular milk chocolate while not good for your dog won't kill it unless it eats a ton of it. good post.

HikeNHunter 12-16-2006 12:13 PM

Even for people who know this stuff it never hurts to be reminded. One more thing to caution dog owners about is alcohol. I've seen people pour a little beer for their dogs already, and while dogs may be quite fond of it their tolerance is much lower than that of people. If you really love your dog give him water to drink, and dog food to eat, if you think he needs a snack or treat get him something made for dogs. This way he'll stay healthy and happy at the same time, and it will save you a lot of money and heartache. Happy holidays to you all, and to all your canine friends

Phil from Maine 12-17-2006 04:46 AM

One more thing to caution dog owners about is alcohol. I've seen people pour a little beer for their dogs already, and while dogs may be quite fond of it their tolerance is much lower than that of people.
Thank you as this is also very true alot of people seem to do this for a laugh and do not realize what they are actually doing to their companion.